Talk

Advanced search

Those super cheap 'lucky dip' plug plant type offers

(11 Posts)
Hiahia Wed 15-Jun-16 19:32:13

...that one can get through magazines with T&M...

Will they flower this year? Have any of you ordered them before and were content with them?
I've ordered/received and potted my 72 lavenders for £2.99 back in mid-May but they've so far hardly grown at all. The strawberry blonde marigolds have grown loads however.
Anyway. I think I would be quite tempted by that lucky dip offer www.thompson-morgan.com/XHGE26 or this one www.thompson-morgan.com/vip/48-free-cottage-garden-perennials/tck70756TM but only if it would bring results this year.

What do you think? Any other cheap end of Spring bonanza offers you're aware of to bulk up a garden?

Liara Wed 15-Jun-16 20:21:25

I think it's a bit late in the year to be planting perennials from plugs and expecting them to do much this year. Those offers look great, but mostly I would expect them to really start to look good next year.

Hiahia Wed 15-Jun-16 20:46:30

Thank you Liara, as I suspected. Oh well!

LBOCS2 Thu 16-Jun-16 00:07:11

I've used them before and they've been ok, but you do have to pot them on for a month or so which annoys me. I planted some out last year and they didn't do much but thus year I have some huge foxgloves to show for it!

shovetheholly Thu 16-Jun-16 10:20:47

I think they are a bit of a ripoff, to be honest. They arrive in a state and you need to get them into a very high quality potting compost immediately, and even then they are fussy about taking to it. I like Secret Gardening Club (google it!) lots more - everything I've had from there has been terrific and actually properly garden ready.

Hiahia Thu 16-Jun-16 11:13:05

Thank you. I will close the tabs now. And open a Secret Gardening Club one!

shovetheholly Thu 16-Jun-16 13:04:54

smile

I was recently tempted by some perennials plugs that were 'free' (but £6 postage). They arrived in a state of yellow slime. They've survived - just - but I'm not ordering plugs again from T&M.

ClarkL Thu 16-Jun-16 17:45:54

Shovetheholly - what sort of postage prices do they have on the secret gardening club?

I have ordered quite a bit from Thompson and Morgan and sadly its really hit and miss on quality, they are always quick to send more BUT i'd rather have fresh healthy plants to start with

JapanNextYear Thu 16-Jun-16 21:15:40

I ordered the really cheap 72 perennials from t & m and potted them on and am really pleased with them. Friend did the same and they were awful...shame they are so hit and miss. I got some hanging basket plug plants from them too and they've done well.

traviata Thu 16-Jun-16 21:31:46

Orders from Secret Gardening Club are free delivery if you become a member.

shovetheholly Fri 17-Jun-16 06:44:55

Yep - delivery is free at SGC, so the price you see is the price you pay. If you are a member you get a further 10% off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now