Dandelion invasion

(10 Posts)
Alakazam7 Mon 13-Jun-16 14:24:35

I have a lawn in my back garden which is covered in dandelions. The lawn weed killers I have looked at are all unsafe as I have a 6 month old kitten. What can I use to get rid of them once and for all?

JT05 Mon 13-Jun-16 15:45:06

In the first instance pick the flowers off before they seed, then hand weeding, I'm afraid.

Alakazam7 Mon 13-Jun-16 20:40:19

Thank you, I'll be doing a lot of weeding this week then

TrioTrio Mon 13-Jun-16 20:44:20

You have to cut the root out with a knife. I used a steak knife and cut down in a square then lifted it out with a column of soil.

Alakazam7 Tue 14-Jun-16 21:26:31

Thanks- do you then need to replace turf? How do you keep them away?
Think it's going to be a bigger task than I thought!

Kr1stina Wed 15-Jun-16 10:20:00

You can't keep weeds away , dandelion seeds are blown in the wind. You have to keep weeding .

Sorry

shovetheholly Wed 15-Jun-16 11:29:14

Look at a horihori - they are brilliant tools for getting at deep-rooted weeds like Dandelions. You want to get the whole tap root out, not just pull off the leaves.

On the upside, you can actually eat the leaves and the roots (the big whoppers are actually quite tasty).

You can then reseed the lawn over the bare patches.

Regular mowing does help to get rid of weeds from lawns - aim for at least once a week (she says, looking at her lawn which hasn't been mown for 14 days) grin

JT05 Wed 15-Jun-16 11:59:03

Monty Don grew grass seed in plant plugs, a couple of Gardeners Worlds ago. Ideal for replacing grass in little holes.

BluePitchFork Wed 15-Jun-16 12:03:29

there is grass feed that is safe for pets. if the grass is strong weeds have less chance to grow.
otherwise: as long as it's soft and green it can stay in my lawn.

TheSpottedZebra Wed 15-Jun-16 16:16:54

That Monty Don grass plug thing looked amazing, and I am doing it now. To fill in the gaps where I hoick out dandelions and buttercups. They pull out much easier when the ground is wet, so that is one positive from all this rain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now