Talk

Advanced search

Please help me identify this plant...

(8 Posts)
Kingofthestupids Sun 12-Jun-16 16:02:36

It's about 4m tall and the bees love it 🐝. It's going to need a chop back once the flowers are finished and I just want to make sure that I'm not going to kill it.

SealSong Sun 12-Jun-16 16:05:54

Looks like a weigela variety.

MissMargie Sun 12-Jun-16 16:09:24

Kolkwitzia.
I've a 20 year old shrub in my garden, it looks lovely. I'm not sure why they are not more common but I have tried with great difficulty to get cuttings from it, so that might be the reason, they are hard to propogate.

brokenbone Sun 12-Jun-16 16:11:47

Piggy backing on this post. Hope you don't mind! Can anyone help me with this plant. It's not a lavender plant but looks very similar to one.

mistlethrush Sun 12-Jun-16 16:13:56

Perennial wallflower?

shovetheholly Sun 12-Jun-16 17:03:24

Yep - looks like Erysmium Bowles Mauve.

brokenbone Sun 12-Jun-16 17:09:34

Thank you! You're both right. I have it growing in my garden, I'm not green fingered at all and do nothing to it but it just seems to take care of itself! The bees and butterflies love it. My parents tried to take a cutting as they love it but it wasn't successful so have been trying to find out what it is so I can buy them one. Thank you wise people of mumsnet! smileflowers

shovetheholly Wed 15-Jun-16 10:18:48

You need to take a heel cutting to propagate - that means that you don't cut the side shoots off the main stem neatly with scissors. You pull it and a bit of the "skin" of the stem will come off too. Dip it in rooting powder and shove it in compost and it will work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now