Talk

Advanced search

What is this plant?

(7 Posts)
LizKeen Sun 12-Jun-16 11:02:13

I am not really a plant person. So sorry for what is probably a very stupid question. But can you tell me what this plant is?

It was in a tiny pot when I was gifted it, and it had beautiful flowers last year. But the soil was pretty much washed away, so I decided to replant it. The pot is massive but its all I had.

Since I did that the flowers shrivelled and a couple of the leaves died. So I am worried it needs ericaceous soil, not multi purpose compost like I have used. It also doesn't seem to have integrated into the new soil, and can still be lifted out in its clump of bare roots. Its been in this pot for two weeks.

Please help. I don't want to kill it.

SugarPlumTree Sun 12-Jun-16 11:05:20

I'm at all sure but think it might be a Lewisia. I managed to kill mine so can't really add anything and am probably wrong anyway.

LizKeen Sun 12-Jun-16 11:13:50

Yes I think that is it. Thanks Sugar. I have been googling for ages and couldn't find it. I knew someone on here would know.

Now to work out how to care for it.

From a very brief google just now, I think it does need ericaceous soil. I need to get some for my blueberries anyway, so I will get that later today and hopefully it will be a bit happier.

If anyone has any other tips please let me know.

LizKeen Sun 12-Jun-16 11:16:28

I also think I have been watering it too much.

SugarPlumTree Sun 12-Jun-16 11:25:16

Pretty tragic I only knew as I killed one grin Hope you can help it thrive .

NanTheWiser Sun 12-Jun-16 12:20:00

Yes, looks like a Lewisia, these are alpine plants and seem to grow best planted at an angle (such as in a drystone wall) so that rain runs off easily. They are also rather succulent, so overwatering might be the cause of your problems.

Ferguson Sun 12-Jun-16 19:04:44

I didn't know much about it, but they can look lovely, so worth trying to get it right:

www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/10041/Lewisia-cotyledon/Details

www.ashwoodnurseries.com/shop/plants/lewisias.html

www.alpinegarden-ulster.org.uk/POM/POM_Lewisia_cotyledon.htm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now