Talk

Advanced search

My peonies aren't happy

(5 Posts)
Honeyandfizz Fri 10-Jun-16 06:49:56

I planted 3 Shirley Temple peonies in April bought from a reputable garden centre. None of them have shown any sign of growth let alone flowering. Maybe I need to wait until next year? I did fertilise the soil and have watered well. Bit gutted as they were quite expensive sad

franke Fri 10-Jun-16 06:54:24

Give them time. Apparently this is a thing with peonies. Mine budded this year but then stopped doing anything. They don't like being moved, they don't like to be too hot, too cold. They need feeding, as you have done, but I didn't.

FantasticRik Sun 12-Jun-16 09:30:57

My peonies didn't flower during the first year. 10 years on I have counted over 20 buds smile

ChishandFips33 Sun 12-Jun-16 13:05:10

Mine (one lot south facing one lot on the west border of the North garden and more shaded) have been in bud since April and this weekend the ones that are more shaded have only just blossomed.

One flower in the south facing garden blossomed a few weeks back but the other buds didn't

They were moved in April so I just assumed I'd halted their growth

Hang in with them, they might just be getting settled in

Honeyandfizz Sun 12-Jun-16 21:23:51

Thanks all really appreciate the advice. They haven't died but they haven't grown either. I've added some bonemeal to the soil yesterday, they are all in a south facing position so hoping next year they'll be better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now