Ideas for back garden

(7 Posts)
youngadult109 Wed 08-Jun-16 14:37:51

So we moved into this place a year ago and have only been mowing the grass a few times. With more weeds growing, husband is now suggesting that we tile the front part of the back garden (the part between concrete tile and terrace shown in picture).

Is this a good idea? I would like to have some greens in my garden but I do agree with my husband that it's like having an abandoned lawn behind our house..

Any suggestions on how we can beautify this area?

Many thanks in advance!

TheSteveMilliband Wed 08-Jun-16 19:17:51

Patio would look nice - could have plenty pots / containers and space for barbecue.

shovetheholly Thu 09-Jun-16 11:21:14

I would be tempted to build a curvy path from the deck to the patio and down to the end of the garden, like a curvy Y. Then plant all the rest with shade beds and plant them up, with a path in the middle. But that's just me! I love plants smile

youngadult109 Thu 09-Jun-16 13:47:59

Thanks! These are great ideas! I love plants and flowers too but don't think I have green fingers. Nonetheless, the landscape gardener will come and have a look today and hopefully the quote is within our budget! fingers crossed

TheSteveMilliband Thu 09-Jun-16 20:55:52

Did he suggest anything different YA? Would love a landscaper to have a shot at our garden

JT05 Fri 10-Jun-16 07:32:57

If you want easy to care for plants that flower in semi shade, Cranesbill ( hardy) Geraniums are your friend. They come in lots of colours from white through pink, purple to blue and have large and small varieties. They need little attention and are easily divided to make more plants. Lots of people have them in their gardens and friends might give you some from divisions.

TheSteveMilliband Fri 10-Jun-16 20:26:56

There is a great thread on shady plants, I have hardy geraniums, viburnum, hydrangeas , hostas,anemones, roses, clematis, hellebores, fuchsias, aquilegia, dicentra. Loads more suggestions on that thread

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now