No flowers on summer raspberries, is this my fault?

(6 Posts)
mmmmmchocolate Sat 04-Jun-16 22:08:16

I planted 2 raspberry bushes last year- one summer and one Autumn. There was a small amount of fruit produced on both bushes. A friend told me that I was supposed to cut all of the canes back to ground level, this was the end of March/beginning of April which I now know was really late and the summer one should have been pruned last year and the Autumn one in February this year.

Both have grown back into very strong bushes, the summer one has probably 15ish canes but there are no flowers at all. The Autumn one is a bit smaller and probably has a little less than 10 canes and is covered in buds, some of which have started to open this week.

So is this my fault for not pruning at the correct time? Is it likely the one bush won't produce this year and what should I do with it after the summer? Do I prune these canes or leave them? They are both in large pots if that makes a difference.

bookbook Sun 05-Jun-16 14:26:20

Think you have crossed messages here
Autumn raspberries - leave and cut everything down to the ground February or early spring
Summer raspberries - cut out all canes in Autumn that have fruited that year, , (and any other weedy/spindly ones ). Leave about 6 strong canes that have not fruited for next year , and so on each year -
Does that make sense ? smile

shovetheholly Sun 05-Jun-16 17:33:27

Book's advice is perfect. Just wanted to add that with summer ones you can usually see a difference in colour between the old canes (grey) and new ones (brown). Leave them ALL this year because they will all fruit next! Then start cutting out the old canes the year after.

Your autumn ones will flower later on so you will still have some lovely berries this year.

mmmmmchocolate Sun 05-Jun-16 19:37:03

Haha, yes I did mean I should have pruned the summer ones last year at the end of the season and the Autumn ones this spring.

So with regards to the summer ones- I only remove the ones that have fruited (so I'm guessing that explains my problem-I shouldn't have cut them all away. I assume now that that bush won't bear fruit this year?)

And the Autumn ones I have to clear ALL the canes in early spring. Is that correct?

Thanks for you help 😊

mmmmmchocolate Sun 05-Jun-16 19:39:57

Oh and the Autumn one is already covered in buds, some already opening so I'm looking forward to these very much!

I guess I'll go and get some rasps from a PYO this summer lol.

bookbook Sun 05-Jun-16 21:19:04

Thats right , smile and there is nothing quite like picking raspberries and eating them straight away !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now