Talk

Advanced search

Pleasse look at this picture of my tomatoe plants - what's with the leaaves?

(4 Posts)
united4ever Sat 04-Jun-16 11:03:09

Some leaves are looking unhealthy and dying/brown patches on them. What does this indicate? They have been at the top of the mini green house. I was watering every day but been every 2 days for the last couple of weeks. They get quite a lot of sun where they are placed. Am I over or under watering. I generallly keep the greenhouse door closed (it's one of those mini, plastic greenhouses). I think they need repotting too. Would the next repotting be the final one? - either into a gro bag or 20 cm diameter pots.

Many thanks in advance

NanTheWiser Sat 04-Jun-16 11:39:44

I think those are scorch spots - if you are keeping them at the top of a mini greenhouse, they are going to get overheated in the sun (when it shines.. ), and they need ventilation! Open the door so they get fresh air. I would also repot into something larger, maybe a grobag would be best so that they don't dry out too quickly, they have probably exhausted any food in the compost they are in currently, so will need feeding too.

united4ever Sat 04-Jun-16 11:50:31

Ah. Makes sense. Yep they were in the top of the mini greenhouse. Got it open now. Whats the best feed? Tomotorite or something lile that?

TheSpottedZebra Sat 04-Jun-16 11:56:33

Agree it's from scorching and that they really need ventilation.
You can also see that they're quite damp, and that the scorching is also from where the water droplets on the leaves are heating up. I suspect you're watering so much as the pots are quite small, and probably full of roots, so all the water is being taken up by the plant or evaporating quite quickly.

Yup, next potting could be their final one -where will they end up? I tend to feed potted tomato plants from when they have flowers - and approx 1x per 7-10 days. Tomorite is fine, although I think the generic ones are probably just as good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now