Talk

Advanced search

climbers for clay soil

(7 Posts)
pennygoodlife Wed 01-Jun-16 22:50:53

I've just had some painted trellis put in by my DH it's a grey/green colour.j would like to add a climber all up/along it, is there anything I can plant now in my heavy clay soil? I was thinking Jasmine? But I'd welcome an evergreen perhaps something with variegated leaves? It's also near my beg patch so anything complimentary would be good thank you

Kr1stina Thu 02-Jun-16 06:45:31

What's the aspect ? Roughly where do you live ?

pennygoodlife Thu 02-Jun-16 08:19:01

I live Nr Mk so E/SE. It's south facing
Mainly sun

Haggisfish Thu 02-Jun-16 08:27:28

Our Jasmine is doing really well in our clay brick soil! I'm fairly sure it's evergreen.

pennygoodlife Mon 06-Jun-16 11:54:46

Can you advise how many plants/size I'll need I have 3 1800 X 1800 mm fence panels to fill?

shovetheholly Mon 06-Jun-16 12:27:37

The number of climbers depends on what you grow - a thug like clematis montana will cover the lot in time, a more delicate clematis will require companion plants.

I would choose a mix of middle sized evergreen, scented, flowering, and productive climbers. So maybe a trachylospermum jasminoides (evergreen, scented), rose (scented), winter-flowering clematis or jasmine, and for productive, check out the kiwi vine, 'Issai', which is self-fertile, hardy, and likes clay).

Don't forget things like figs, too, which can do well in a space like that (you might need to confine roots or root prune them if you want them to be super-productive). Alternatively, espaliered apples!

Titsywoo Mon 06-Jun-16 13:55:43

I've planted clematis montana in a large pot instead of putting it into the clay soil. It is growing very well and fast! I'm hoping to cover the top of an 8 meter wall in the next few years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now