Talk

Advanced search

Climbing plant help!

(10 Posts)
beanhead24 Mon 30-May-16 22:08:19

I need something completely rampant that will grow up & cover a brick wall & some wooden trellis ASAP, hardy, evergreen, can survive in poor soil.

Pref not ivy as that can apparently wreck brickwork?

Any ideas? I am not a gardener AT ALL!!

Thank you!

alicemalice Mon 30-May-16 22:12:26

I recommend this one - grows incredibly quickly! It kept its leaves all last winter.

www.gardenseeker.com/climbing_plants/solanum_jasminoides_album.htm

traviata Mon 30-May-16 22:45:57

just came on to say the same but the purple version;
eg

TuttiFrutti Tue 31-May-16 15:16:01

I would recommend climbing hydrangea, otherwise known as hydrangea petiolaris.

We have one on a north-facing wall, where nothing else would really grow. It looks after itself, is a mass of bright green in the summer with beautiful white lace-like flowers.

The only downside is keeping it back. We have to give it a brutal trim every autumn. It is very fast-growing.

shovetheholly Tue 31-May-16 15:29:17

Why the need for speed? I ask because if you wanted to conceal an ugly-as-sin wall to sell a house fast, then I'd recommend something like Virginia creeper (the really antisocial choice would be Russian Vine).

If it's something you want to keep for a longer time, however, I'd say: think about getting a couple of things, possibly an evergreen for winter interest and a flowering one for the summer. You can even get fruiting ones (the hardy kiwi). What works depends a lot on the aspect you have - a wisteria or rose will look splendid on a south-facing wall but may struggle in shade on a north-facing wall.

amysmummy12345 Tue 31-May-16 15:31:54

Mile a minute clematis? X

amysmummy12345 Tue 31-May-16 15:33:57

www.climbingplantsdirect.com/Product.asp?ProductRef=2863

alicemalice Tue 31-May-16 16:13:53

Love the look of those clematis Amysmummy. Does that mean they'll stay green over the winter?

amysmummy12345 Tue 31-May-16 16:20:44

I'm not too sure, I've seen them in a few friends and relatives gardens and they look lovely when flowering...

fiorentina Tue 31-May-16 16:42:34

I have planted trachleospernum jasminoides and they've grown fast, are largely evergreen and scented. I love them. I also have Climbing hydrangea and jasmine officiale also grows fast but isn't evergreen. You can always grow in a large pot if soil is awful as long as you feed well?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now