Thank you!

traviata Fri 27-May-16 14:56:47

Aquilegias, otherwise called 'granny's bonnets'

GreenMarkerPen Fri 27-May-16 14:57:04

no idea
but I have them too.
they self seed and the bees like them.

Playduh Fri 27-May-16 14:59:45

Thanks. They're all over the garden in about six different colours. Want to keep them but if I do, will I be drowning in them soon?

ShowOfHands Fri 27-May-16 15:00:52

They like to spread and will reseed on their own but they're easy to strip out if you get too many.

GrassyBottom Fri 27-May-16 15:12:20

I have lots but I just pull them out when I get too many. Also I have one bed with just deep blue ones. If I see a pink one in there it comes out grin.

shovetheholly Fri 27-May-16 16:01:24

If you don't want them to spread too much, make sure they don't set seed. However, this may also stop you getting new and different colours - they hybridize like nothing on earth and the results can be spectacular.

There are specially bred ornamental ones too. I have Nora Barlow in my garden, which is a very different flower shape - you could mistake it for a seed head of some kind if it wasn't so pink!

Check out the Touchwood Seed website for other amazing varieties. What has happened to that amazing plantswoman is so sad - she holds a huge collection of aquilegias (the national collection, in fact), but they have got downy mildew and she has lost hundreds of plants. I cannot even imagine how heartbreaking that must be.

Playduh Fri 27-May-16 16:31:32

Oh wow. They seem to like it round the bottom of my laurel trees. It would be lovely if I could get a range of colours in each bed.

Thankyou!

amysmummy12345 Fri 27-May-16 16:37:43

aqueligias! we've had them self seed all over the lawn :/ any ideas how to eradicate without having to dig each one out?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now