Fuschias

(8 Posts)
jingscrivvens Tue 24-May-16 13:31:06

Was looking to get some fuschias for the garden, but the ones I liked say they are half-hardy. Does this mean they need dug up every winter? I guess you would put them in a greenhouse, so if you don't have one of those then are you screwed?
I live in Scotland and I do see other gardens with fuschias in them all year round including my folks old place. Would they be a different variety?

TIA

shovetheholly Tue 24-May-16 14:08:38

You can get hardy fuschias that are basically bombproof, and then half-hard ones that need cossetting overwinter.

Half-hardy ones need to be kept frost-free overwinter, but that could be an indoor windowsill if you don't have a greenhouse. They are more of a faff than the hardy ones, though.

This page has a list of the AGM hardy fuschias - AGM is like an award the Royal Horticultural Society give to plants that perform really well. They come in many shapes and sizes as you can see from the descriptions!

bfgs.org.uk/fuchsias-awarded-the-royal-horticultural-society-award-of-garden-merit/

jingscrivvens Tue 24-May-16 15:03:30

That's a large list! I'm bound to find something I like there, thank you

Ferguson Tue 24-May-16 20:22:28

And here is another lot of interesting information:

www.fuchsiaflower.co.uk/index.htm

SeaRabbit Tue 24-May-16 21:42:32

Fuchsias are very easy to propagate, so you can usually buy small ones cheaply, or pay at a lot at a garden centre for something that looks more imposing. They grow quickly so I buy small ones...

I have just bought some nice cheap little ones from Otherfellow fuchsias partly because I like the name but they have a great selection, and the plants have been good. If you can, choose AGM ones - the RHS test them and they award the Award of Garden Merit to the most reliable. I did order a Foxgrove Wood (not AGM) as it is so pretty and it's a hardy one

SeaRabbit Tue 24-May-16 21:44:14

Oops Holly got there before me on AGM - (Rtft) but at least we agree!

shovetheholly Wed 25-May-16 09:50:20

grin Great minds and all that. Plus, I don't think it hurts to have things repeated - makes me feel very relieved I'm not talking complete nonsense!

jingscrivvens Wed 25-May-16 10:16:11

I'm glad to have things repeated - helps it sink in! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now