Talk

Advanced search

Dandelions - have you tried a hori hori knife, or other hand tool?

(9 Posts)
cavalo Sun 22-May-16 19:29:38

I'd like a recommendation for a hand tool to remove dandelions etc from lawn and border areas . I saw hori hori knives online which looked interesting, and other hand tools. I just want something good that'll work on my clay soil .
thanks

Ferguson Sun 22-May-16 20:36:56

We use a Wolf weed extractor; there are different types of handle they fit on to.

www.wolfgarten-tools.co.uk/multi-change-tools-main/weeding-tool-heads/multi-change-weed-extractor-4cm

But less expensive would be strong, old, unwanted kitchen knives, or even long screwdrivers.

ivykaty44 Sun 22-May-16 20:45:08

I've got a large daisy grubber whicwhich was left with the lawn/ house.

It must be c1930s but it's great for dandelions and daisy removal

cavalo Sun 22-May-16 23:28:08

Thanks, there are so many weeding tools around that it's good to hear what others like.

shovetheholly Mon 23-May-16 07:16:13

I am a huge advocate for hori horis! I have bought them for all my gardening peeps as birthday presents after seeing gardeners use them in Japan. The idea of a precise weed knife is particularly brilliant - they are also good for planting.

I'm still saving up for a proper Japanese tripod ladder smile

DoreenLethal Mon 23-May-16 07:25:19

I use these at home and work.

www.wolfgarten-tools.co.uk/fixed-hand-tools/weeding-planting-knife

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Tue 24-May-16 22:36:40

I've got one a bit like this one although I think the two pronged bit is a bit more pronounced on mine. It works really well though.

bookbook Tue 24-May-16 22:40:18

Just seen this.
I have a DH who hates dandelions - may have to buy him a hori hori - he uses an old large kitchen knife !

cavalo Tue 24-May-16 23:27:37

Thanks everyone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now