Talk

Advanced search

I think I've put the wrong oil in my lawnmower

(6 Posts)
Lollylovesbones Sat 21-May-16 15:28:41

I have a petrol lawnmower - it needed oil and I've put 2stroke oil in - it is now smoking a lot. Is this the wrong oil - I've goggled and I am still not clearblush

VioletBam Sat 21-May-16 15:51:04

DH says it's probably that you've put too much of the oil in...add some more petrol.

Lollylovesbones Sat 21-May-16 16:02:19

Thanks violet (and your DH). I will top up the petrol but oil isn't mixed in with the petrol it goes in separately (like a car). I

bookbook Sat 21-May-16 19:36:50

asked my DH -( our petrol lawnmower service person). He says its the wrong oil . So you need to drain it out ( not easy, sadly) - you probably need something like 20/50 or 10/40 - ( its called sump or engine oil) it will say in your manual which specific one)

Lollylovesbones Sat 21-May-16 21:23:09

sad thank you book - I'll have to try and get someone to drain it for me.

mineofuselessinformation Sat 21-May-16 21:31:38

Is there a drain plug in the oil tank? If so, undo it and let it all drain into the original container. Then, put the plug back in and put the correct oil in. If it's still running, it might be a bit smoky / lumpy for a while until the new oil works its way through the system, but usually petrol engines are pretty robust.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now