Talk

Advanced search

What would you plant in a very small raised bed?

(8 Posts)
MarjorySunshineDust Sat 21-May-16 14:35:30

I have cleared some space in a sunny corner of our garden to put in a raised bed, probably 1m/1m but maybe stretch to 1.5m. Would like to grow some easy veg with my toddler dd.

We already have round carrots growing in a trough, lots of herbs and strawberries in a wall planter but not sure what to put in the raised bed. Thinking a courgette, some beetroot maybe, green beans? I've grown strawberries/tomatoes before so not a complete novice but don't want to overfill this space and create too much work. Would one courgette and a couple of green beans be enough to fill it? Or could I get some radishes/beetroot in too?
Any ideas welcome!

Madbengalmum Sat 21-May-16 14:38:17

Cut and grow assorted salad leaves,easy to grow and very cheap compared to buying it.
Cabbage.
Raspberries.
Courgettes take up alot of space in my opinion for the amount you get.

FarmerNell Sat 21-May-16 14:59:07

I think I would do some green beans growing up a bamboo cane teepee. With beetroot and cut and come again salad leaves underneath? And/or herbs. Radishes don't take up much space but would your toddler want to eat them?
Cherry tomatoes always a hit with little ones too. I've grown those in hanging baskets before if you haven't got much sun you can put them on a sunny wall.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Sat 21-May-16 15:10:39

I've got a 90cm square raised bed. In the past I've sectioned it off into 9 squares and do blocks of radishes, carrots, peas, lettuce, spring onion, coriander and basil, it works really well. Youcan do successional planting with radishes and lettuce to keep them cropping. Courgettes do get a bit too big IMO. Also avoid potatoes, I did some a few years ago in it and I get them coming up again every single year and taking over.

MarjorySunshineDust Sun 22-May-16 13:49:46

Thanks all, think I will give the courgette a miss then! Definitely want runner beans. Love the idea of splitting it up like that Whoknows.
I'm planning potatoes in a pot or two as well.

MadSprocker Sun 22-May-16 16:14:17

Peas are great and you can eat them straight from the plant super easy to grow too. I usually get a sugar snap, mange tout and a normal pea.

MadSprocker Sun 22-May-16 16:15:49

Grow some marigolds as a partner plant for tomatoes, add colour to the beds and encourages pollinating insects.

MarjorySunshineDust Mon 23-May-16 13:00:31

Marigolds going on my list! I'm getting so excited, really neglected the garden since having dd but now she is approaching 3 and will happily potter about beside me. Now I can get on with planting/watering without worrying about her trying to eat soil! Been weeding all morning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now