Talk

Advanced search

Easy-to-grow plants that smell nice

(17 Posts)
sizeofalentil Mon 16-May-16 20:41:17

Hello!

I have a very small garden and I'm growing a lot of things in pots. My gameplan is this: stuff I can eat, herbs, stuff I can pick for vases or stuff that smells nice.

I'm planning on getting jasmine and honeysuckle for some pots and an arch around the kitchen door, but is there anything else you'd recommend that smells amazing?

I'm going for a wild garden vibe, so doesn't matter if it's invasive!

Auntpodder Mon 16-May-16 20:44:01

Lavender, nicotiana (the ones that smell at night), sweet peas (if you've got something that they can grow up)... I'm a terrible gardener but they all manage to survive the summer with me - you have to keep picking sweet peas as they flower or they go to seed.

sizeofalentil Mon 16-May-16 20:46:16

I LOVE sweet peas. I have planted troughs full this year. I normally can't grow them, but for some reason, it's working this year. Fingers crossed!

Not heard of Nicotiana but will google it now. Thank you!

Liara Mon 16-May-16 20:46:29

Four o'clock plants smell really nice (mirabilis jalapa).

Also climbing roses are quite easy if you train them right, and some smell lovely. Mme Alfred Carriere is my favourite for scent.

GreenMarkerPen Mon 16-May-16 20:48:41

wisteria smella lovely
some roses
woodruff has a sweet smell
mint

slightlyglitterbrained Mon 16-May-16 20:55:27

You could go for scented and edible?
daughterofthesoil.blogspot.co.uk/2007/02/heritage-vegetable-review-broad-bean.html?m=1

traviata Mon 16-May-16 21:18:06

night scented stock - very easy

VilootShesCute Mon 16-May-16 21:20:52

Was going to say night scented stock too!

HeyMacWey Tue 17-May-16 12:10:53

Lemon verbena - lovely - reminds me of lemon sherbet.

HeyMacWey Tue 17-May-16 12:12:20

I've also got some lily of the valley in full flower at the moment and it smells wonderful.

funnyperson Tue 17-May-16 20:35:24

lavender,rosemary, sage, thyme, oregano, savoury

I fail to grow night scented tock every single year. The seeds germinate then the seedlings die

gardeningmum Wed 18-May-16 18:30:06

Definitely herbs, if the flowers don't smell the leaves will. Roses are quite easy to grow and don't need much maintenance once established.

Take a look at

kidsinthegarden.co.uk/family-friendly-plants/

TheSteveMilliband Wed 18-May-16 18:38:24

I've just bought a daphne which is supposed to smell lovely - perfume princess. Havent got it yet though. Does lily of the valley spread a lot heymac? I have a perfect spot for some but worried it might take over? Have some violets but need to wait for next year to get flowers. Also, scented pelargoniums are lovely - you can get lemony, rose, orange scented ones (and cinnamon though having just got one, it's not that cinamonny). Am going to check out some of the other suggestions.

Aliasnumberone Wed 18-May-16 18:40:36

Oooh, love this thread already! We have honeysuckle that's going like a rocket at the minute, a gorgeous rambling rose that smells divine shen in bloom and winter flowering jasmine. Sweet pea are yet to come out and lavender just coming into flower. Mint is great but be ware it is a monster and will eat half your garden. Put it in a pot and don't let it out out feelers to take root elsewhere.

JapanNextYear Wed 18-May-16 18:46:22

Honeysuckle is gorgeous and there's some really pretty ones. Pots of night scented stock are easy from seed. Put your climbers in the biggest pots you can get and use John innes no 2 compost rather than multipurpose compost. Seriously big pots like a metre tall if you can.

There are some lovely clematis that like containers and are fragrant
Google fragrant clematis for containers.

JapanNextYear Wed 18-May-16 18:47:12

Try fragrant Oberon clematis.

SeaRabbit Thu 19-May-16 05:31:18

Perennial wallflower Winter Orchid - I bought one 2 months ago & it's in a very shady position and still flowering its socks off.

Garden pinks can have a wonderful scent. I have one that scents the whole garden in the evening. I think it's Devon Wizard:

www.whetmanpinks.com/pinks-by-colour/mauve-purple-shades/devon-wizard/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now