Talk

Advanced search

Lily beetles are quite impressive really

(7 Posts)
traviata Sat 14-May-16 12:59:44

They have already decimated my pots, but I have a sneaking admiration for the greedy swine.

They look stunning (as adults). If you touch or even approach the plant, they know something is up and immediately hide under the leaves. They try to fall off on purpose to avoid being caught, and then they lie still for a while before scuttling or flying away. All quite clever for a beetle.

fiorentina Sat 14-May-16 16:33:45

Yes they are evil but clever little buggers..

SeaRabbit Sat 14-May-16 22:27:31

If they were really clever they would be green not bright orange - but yes they are amazing at flipping so their black undersides show. I read someone recommend dipping your finger in honey so they stick to it!

NewRags Tue 17-May-16 11:07:06

they also squeak when you pick them up hmm they savaged my lilies so I fed them to my venus fly trap grin

Unremarkable Tue 17-May-16 12:42:31

Impressive as adults but disgusting as grubs. The larvae cover themselves in their own crap to protect themselves. I have to pick them off using a bit of kitchen roll but still heave [sick face].

traviata Tue 17-May-16 18:42:03

Newrags that must have been satisfying.

NewRags Wed 18-May-16 09:14:55

it was very satisfying! although they've obviously got wise to this - I went out this morning to find my poor lilies hacked to bits and no signs of any beetles so they must have worked out when I'm home and run for cover angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now