Talk

Advanced search

Are these weeds?

(28 Posts)
Rojak Sat 14-May-16 07:40:29

Complete gardening newbie (Only weeds I can identify are dandelion & nettle)

Have lots of the first one coming through a slope so I hope it's not a weed as it would be a nightmare to start weeding!

Bolshybookworm Sat 14-May-16 08:22:03

Yep, it's willowherb, pull it up. It's easy to pull up and it spreads by seed, so you don't need to worry about leaving bits of root behind. Expect to pull more of it up though, the seeds get everywhere.

Rojak Sun 15-May-16 08:04:54

What a pain!! If I get rid of them - could I put down a fast growing periwinkle as ground cover and would it help suppress the weeds?

It's in a bit of a slope which I don't use much anyway

Thanks

jellyjiggles Wed 18-May-16 06:41:44

We've got it everywhere. Get it up now before it flowers!

shovetheholly Wed 18-May-16 07:21:26

Yes, get down some groundcover and it really helps, though they have a tendency to find any niche to get into! I have a lot of these in my garden and from now on, I'm exercising constant vigilance to stop them flowering and seeding!! If you're really pushed for time, chop the flowers off - at least they won't seed then.

Kr1stina Wed 18-May-16 07:40:23

The weeds in my garden grow up through any ground cover I plant over them . They are very determined .

Rojak Wed 18-May-16 14:01:53

I pulled up a bunch of them and have to clear another slope (which has also been overtaken by nettles!!)

Feels like the weeds are winning at the minute ... but reluctant to resort to pesticides sad

shovetheholly Wed 18-May-16 14:03:53

Hang in there! It gets much easier when you have the ground covered by things you want to be there - weeds will still spring up, but they can only get into the corners of things and you spend less time pulling them out! In the meantime, weedsheeting or cardboard with compost dumped on top can be a lifesaver to ensure that they don't return while your back is turned!

Kr1stina Wed 18-May-16 17:48:01

Good idea holly

Mulching is your friend smile

Rojak Wed 18-May-16 21:49:42

Thanks - will try mulching - cardboard is new to me though!

GreenMarkerPen Wed 18-May-16 21:55:08

weeds are plants that you don't want.
I have some plants that others consider to be weeds, but I (and the bees) like them.

Kr1stina Thu 19-May-16 09:11:03

Cardboard is perfect . It excludes the light , which stops all but the most persistent weeds germinating, it rots down nicely and adds organic matter to the soil , doesn't shed water as much as plastic sheeting , it's cheap and easily available . Just cover it with a layer of compost ( into which annual weed seeds will germinate so pull them up) so it looks better .

EarSlaps Thu 19-May-16 20:41:06

We have lots of this! I spent nearly three hours weeding all the various nasties and I think I've done maybe a fifth of all our beds! I'm ordering a massive bag of chippings to try and keep the weeds down a bit.

Rojak Thu 26-May-16 16:49:20

One more pic - not sure if this is plant I should keep or weed

GreenMarkerPen Thu 26-May-16 16:52:20

looks like japanese anemone
beautiful flowers in august.

GreenMarkerPen Thu 26-May-16 16:54:17

or is it a sycamore seedling? is the stem brown an wooden?
<needs glasses>

shovetheholly Thu 26-May-16 16:55:09

I think that's a sycamore seedling - I get loads in my garden from a tree outside in the road. The leaf is quite similar to that of an anemone but sadly it is a whopping great tree and not a delicate flower. sad

Rojak Thu 26-May-16 22:13:15

I'll go out tomorrow and try and get pic of the stem crossing fingers

CointreauVersial Thu 26-May-16 22:25:06

That's definitely a seedling. Leave it a few years, and you'll have a tree!

Gatekeeper Fri 27-May-16 08:16:57

sycamore seedling. I would maybe give the perwinkle as ground cover a miss. The one in our garden that was planted by a previous neighbour has suckered everywhere- even through the lawn

Rojak Fri 27-May-16 14:08:07

Going to get rid of that sycamore seedling then as have found another couple.

Can I just keep cutting them down or would I have to dig them out?

Found 2 more plants in the middle of what I think is an azalea. Can anyone tell me what these are? Thanks smile

Rojak Fri 27-May-16 14:11:52

Going to get rid of that sycamore seedling then as have found another couple.

Can I just keep cutting them down or would I have to dig them out?

Found 2 more plants in the middle of what I think is an azalea. Can anyone tell me what these are? Thanks smile

GreenMarkerPen Fri 27-May-16 14:50:12

first one beech
second elder
<guessing>

CointreauVersial Fri 27-May-16 16:46:00

The first one looks like hazel (another one that will grow to tree proportions if left).

The second one I can't remember the name, but it's a big annoyance in my garden too. They are suckers from a shrub/tree next door and they are bastards to pull up. I usually just cut then at the stem - they come back eventually, though.

Remember, a weed is just something growing where you don't want it - if it looks out of place or ugly, get rid.

Azalea is beautiful, though!

Kr1stina Fri 27-May-16 17:03:05

Agree, first one is a tree seeding, beech or maybe birch

Second one is ground elder or an ash seedling

You need to dig them up, cutting them will make them grow again bushier

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now