Talk

Advanced search

What plants for containers need once a week watering?

(11 Posts)
littlejo67 Fri 13-May-16 20:29:16

I have an assortment of containers which I want to plant up . They are at a new holiday home so would only get watered once a week at change over. Lavender I know doesnt need frequent watering but apart from that I am stuck. I want attractive tubs with once a week TLC. Is this feasible?

DoreenLethal Fri 13-May-16 20:32:41

Surely in the UK it rains at least once every week?

Containers by nature dry out as there is no reserve. Have you got a water butt there? If so get an Irrigatia solar pump and it will pump every 3 hours in the hottest sun and less if the sun is not out. As long as you fill the water butt up each week [if the rain hasn't done it already] it should not dry out.

[note, I do not work for them, I use them in my greenhouses and polytunnels].

Roystonv Fri 13-May-16 20:34:04

Are you going for seasonal or just something green to look nice?

littlejo67 Fri 13-May-16 21:07:48

Roy -some thing green to look nice would be more practical. Though I love the summer bedding look. Some containers are small and would suit Geraniums etc.

Doreen- the containers are in numerous places and therefore not practical.

Roystonv Sat 14-May-16 03:09:52

Sorry then I would be more practical as its not just maintaining them looking nice but if you say they are numerous it's the cost of filling them each season. As you say maybe a statement one or two in the smaller pots.

TheSolitaryBoojum Sat 14-May-16 07:20:52

You could sink a piece of tubing into the soil and fill it with water, to act as a reservoir.
Look at mediterranean plants, geraniums are tough.

DoreenLethal Sat 14-May-16 07:25:48

The solar pump comes woth tubing that covers a fair distance, you make it drip onto where you want it. Easiest solution IMHO.

Mouthfulofquiz Sat 14-May-16 07:27:31

What about plants like red hot pokers? Some of those can last a while without watering. A

Kwirrell Sat 14-May-16 09:22:21

Sedums, rock plants and some herbs don't need much watering. Also nasturtium, poppy, or calendula are very tolerant once established. If you can put your pots in some shade then ornamental grasses would work.

gingeroots Sat 14-May-16 09:35:47

Thyme ,rosemary ? IME geraniums do pretty well in very dry conditions .

Water retaining granules ? Saucers under the pots ? Neighbours child who'd like some pocket money ?

littlejo67 Sat 14-May-16 12:46:20

Thanks for all the suggestions above.
Sol - sinking a bit of tubing - never thought of that cool idea.
Sedums and herbs- good idea. I am a bit of a novice at this as you can tell.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now