Talk

Advanced search

What would you put in this old Belfast sink?

(15 Posts)
Draylon Fri 13-May-16 12:50:19

Hampshire, SW facing but is in shade from about 3pm this time of year, but otherwise is in full sun.

Currently full of broken pots etc, as you can see, as I was going to do an Alpine garden but I have slightly lost interest in that idea; so I thought about hostas in that I can slug protect them (I have loads of potted hostas!) but it is full sun and I know hostas aren't so keen. I don't want 'municipal park' style garish colours, though coleus are quite amusing!

Any ideas? I am generally more of a foliage gardener than flowers (comes from years in Queensland!)

TIA

Draylon Fri 13-May-16 14:15:30

or aeoniums? I have half a dozen black, and 2 green, in pots

shovetheholly Fri 13-May-16 18:35:47

A lovely selection of alpines, in gravel.

shovetheholly Fri 13-May-16 18:36:22

(Honestly, there are LOADS of nice ones!! Not just the usual suspects, which I agree are a bit boring)

SugarPlumTree Fri 13-May-16 18:38:09

I might be tempted to put some herbs in there if you're not doing alpines.

Draylon Fri 13-May-16 19:48:45

I love alpines, I can spend ages in Wisley's alpine glass houses- but there's the clue. Not pelted with English rain all winter! I seriously considered alpines, but then I read about the need to protect them in winter from rain (not cold!), how they can rot in the ground, as it were, despite excellent drainage (and how, with more or less pure gravel it can dry to a crisp in a hot period!). I imagine a few specimens, set among a field of gravel, their centres bravely battling on whilst their periphery a mass of browning, crisp, dying foliage.

The herb idea does have legs. I have a small, plastic 'witches cauldron' of herbs, but it could be bigger- and that might indeed be a tidier solution.

But what am I going to do with 80 coleus seedlings?! wink

funnyperson Fri 13-May-16 19:52:11

Nice sunny spot near a window
I suggest lavender rosemary sage and thyme
Or fruit such as blueberries
Not coleus unless you are a real fan

SugarPlumTree Fri 13-May-16 20:07:20

80 coleus seedlings - is this a distraction from exam season ?! i was thinking exactly what FP suggested, maybe some chives as well and let them flower.

Cathpot Sat 14-May-16 11:46:30

I've put strawberries in mine this year in the hope that being off the ground will result in less spoilt fruit.

soggyweetabix Sat 14-May-16 11:49:39

I've moved mine to a bed, blocked up the plughole and use it as a pond, which is currently inhabited Jerry Springer the frog grin

Starman16 Sat 14-May-16 11:56:10

draylon I wouldn't write off alpines, I have pots in my garden that get left out all winter and have been fine for the past two winters - as long as they have decent drainage and you don't pick anything too fussy. I've got sedum, saxifrage, lewisia (this gets the most upset by persistent rain but has not yet died!), thrift.

Mine are just coming into flower now and they look ADORABLE. So dinky grin

Draylon Sun 15-May-16 17:55:15

OK, went for the herbs in the end. I have enclosed the mint, marjoram and oregano and will watch the parsley carefully grin

I already had most of the herbs in other pots so only needed to buy the parsley and upright rosemary.

Will be interesting to see how it develops!

colleysmill Sun 15-May-16 18:19:07

I have one of these and I use it as a herb garden smile I've found it works really well.

They are unbelievably heavy even when empty so as long as you don't decide to move the thing it can look lovely!

funnyperson Sun 15-May-16 19:58:48

Looks brilliant!

Draylon Mon 16-May-16 20:35:54

Thanks. I'm pleased with it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now