Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Looking after your Christmas tree over summer

(8 Posts)
0phelia Sun 08-May-16 13:24:28

Hello.
At Christmas we got a living tree in a pot, because I hate the throwing away a whole tree.

We're keeping it in it's pot in the garden, but we've never done this before. It's getting hot now, and worried I might kill it.

Are there any tree/garden experts who can help, are you supposed to water it every day? Once a week? Would that BabyBio liquid be any good?

Or would it be better to plant the tree in the ground then dig it up again at Christmas?

Thanks

MiddleAgeMiddleEngland Sun 08-May-16 22:07:22

We just keep it in the pot which it'll be in again next Christmas. Water it well but don't drown it. We keep ours in a partially shaded spot, but if it's too shaded it will grow into a weird spindly shape and look odd!

Ours gets a feed of liquid seaweed a couple of times during the year, but nothing else. Maybe a handful of blood, fish and bone on top of the compost if I think of it.

We had one for four years, then bought another one. It's much nicer than throwing them out each year.

slightlyglitterbrained Sun 08-May-16 23:10:45

Ours has sat abandoned in the shaded bit of the back yard. Most of the needles fell off, some of them seem to be reemerging now.

Fractiousfractions Sun 08-May-16 23:16:53

If you bring it in for Christmas be sure to hose it down and perhaps spray it with something. We had some very unwelcome guests last year from our potted tree still kept it for this year though.

slightlyglitterbrained Mon 09-May-16 06:26:26

Ewww Fractions, what kind of guests?

Fractiousfractions Mon 09-May-16 08:45:05

Great conifer aphids grin. Was quite the festive mystery as to what the weird little crawly bugs in the living room were, until I took a closer look at the tree - the trunk was basically alive with the little buggers. So yeah, remember to spray your tree folks!

shovetheholly Mon 09-May-16 08:47:37

I have read recently in a James Wong book that I wont' stop going on and on about that you can use the young needles of Douglas Fir trees to make things like pine sugar and - better- PINE GIN!!

I NEED A DOUGLAS FIR TREE!

slightlyglitterbrained Mon 09-May-16 08:53:59

Knew I should've got a rental tree.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now