Talk

Advanced search

Instant shade plant for a climbing frame

(5 Posts)
Ipsos Sat 07-May-16 17:22:36

Hi,

I wondered if anyone might have ideas of an instant shade plant to put next to a climbing frame?

We have built the climbing frame but it has no shade at all and is baking hot already from about 11am to 5pm. I've been trying to think about which plants I could buy for reasonable money that would give instant shade, with the added bonus of screening the climbing frame so the kids can't look into the neighbour's garden. The climbing frame is about 1m from a 6' tall fence.

This is the [[http://www.activitytoysdirect.com/tp-toys/castlewood-two-towers-playset-with-2-deluxe-swing-seats-and-free-connection-bridge-/p1035
climbing] frame:

Some shade ideas so far:

A couple of red robins (2m tall)A couple of [[http://www.trees-online.co.uk/Mountain-Ash-or-Rowan.html Rowan trees (1.8m tall).

Some very enthusiastically nurtured runner beans with hefty supports.

A trellis on top of the 6' fence.

A privet hedge.

If anyone had any other ideas I'd be really glad to hear them. Every day of no shade = a day of unused and rather pricey climbing frame. :-) Oops!

Thanks!

Ipsos Sat 07-May-16 17:23:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ipsos Sat 07-May-16 17:25:39

Trying again:

A couple of Photinia red robins (2m tall)

www.amazon.co.uk/Photinia-fraseri-Trellis-Trained-GGOLP1/dp/B0052348QW?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

A couple of Rowan trees (1.8m tall).

www.trees-online.co.uk/Mountain-Ash-or-Rowan.html

Ipsos Sat 07-May-16 17:33:51

This willow screening roll is rather nice. :-)

www.primrose.co.uk/-p-39901.html?adtype=pla&kwd=&showPLA=true&gclid=CjwKEAjwpLa5BRCTwcXS6_rpvC4SJACTDQMM19zdZ1zWIvEoit4ZyVF4wrvW5BAYl-ZSB2YOiduvcRoC_q_w_wcB

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER Sat 07-May-16 17:34:15

Russian vine, or mile-a-minute vine - I can't remember the Latin name - grows like mad. It would probably need to be kept in check quite soon - some people look on it almost as a pest. It has clusters of white flowers in summer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now