Talk

Advanced search

Orchid help!

(7 Posts)
VilootShesCute Tue 03-May-16 19:28:14

Does anyone know if this plant will die or revive itself? I've rescued it from my mother who throws them away when the flowers drop off. Please could someone in the know tell me what I should be doing with it? grin

TheBitterBoy Tue 03-May-16 19:32:38

It will flower again. You can cut off the flowering stem to the base. I water mine once a fortnight (every other Monday morning!) by soaking the whole pot in a sink full of tepid water for around fifteen minutes, then draining. Your aim is to rehydrate the bark type compost it is planted in. Don't just water into the pot and leave it, as this will cause the roots to rot. If it is not in flower add a few drops of orchid feed (baby bio do one) to the water in the pot. If it is flowering do not feed it, as this will cause the flowers to drop.
Orchids are pretty easy really.

Doublejeopardy Tue 03-May-16 19:33:28

That bit will drop off but worry not.

You need to drench the plant one a week until the roots go plump, then no water until they begin to shrivel again.

On a not too sunny window sill and neglect has worked wonders for me xx

VilootShesCute Tue 03-May-16 21:54:02

Oh great thank you guys!

shovetheholly Wed 04-May-16 06:59:39

I am not an orchid expert, so this is how I make it up as I go along!

I find that the flower stalks on mine (I'm sure there is a more technical term) tend to die back a little, but then reshoot. So if I don't cut, it leads to faster reflowering than if the whole thing needs to regrow.

I deliberately leave mine without water for a bit until the leaves start to dehydrate slightly, then feed with the pink baby bio and plenty of water. It sort of fakes a season and kickstarts them again.

They like aerial moisture, so a bathroom is an ideal place to keep them.

SlipperyJack Wed 04-May-16 07:02:07

Use rain water if possible, especially if you live in a hard water area. But those sort of orchids don't mind getting a bit dry.

lavendersun Wed 04-May-16 07:04:07

I had some very useful advice on this thread .... I have completely ignored my orchid and it looks fab, might water it today actually

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/2612011-Tell-me-how-not-to-kill-an-orchid

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now