Talk

Advanced search

Fig tree lurgi...any advice gratefully received

(3 Posts)
Squarepegina Fri 29-Apr-16 15:11:03

Just when I was mentally patting myself on the back on my pots and trays of seedlings and rooted cuttings in my first ever greenhouse, this morning I've gone in to shrivelled and dying leaves on my two fig trees.

I have had them for a couple of years, they have been trained as standard plants and they are in pots. Up until this winter they have stood outside and survived a winter with the help of some bubble wrap. Now I've cosseted them in my greenhouse they've been nobbled by some lurgi.

Any idea what could have turned their leaves to shrivel overnight? And if so any ideas how to save them? I can't find any obvious answers online so any help would be really appreciated.

shovetheholly Fri 29-Apr-16 15:30:53

You say you've been spoiling them, so I'm assuming they are reasonably moist, i.e. not too wet, not too dry?

I wonder if it could be the absolutely bloody freezing weather we are having? The fact that you say it's happened very suddenly - overnight, in fact- points to an environmental issue rather than a virus or fungus, most of which take a while to destroy a plant.

Squarepegina Fri 29-Apr-16 19:00:45

Thanks Shove. I hope you're right. It is bloody freezing. It just seems odd that all my pricked out baby seedlings are ok but my blooming mature trees are keeling over!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now