Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help me choose a greenhouse

(8 Posts)
silversixpence Fri 29-Apr-16 14:15:02

I am planning to get a greenhouse soon and need to choose between this Simplicity one and this Rhino one. The Rhino one is about £1500 which is probably a hell of a lot bit more than we should spend now but whichever one we get it will need to last.

Which one and why?

JapanNextYear Fri 29-Apr-16 14:20:40

Depends where you live I think. If in a really sheltered from the wind spot in a bit of the garden you don't directly look at the cheaper one will probably last years - and you can get replacement panes easily if they break.

If in a windy spot I'd go for the stronger one. If on show I'd go for the Rhino too - as a bit less utilitarian looking.

I just got a lean to greenhouse built and with the gale force winds we've been having, I'm really glad I went for a really strong one with heavy duty glazing bars.

fundamentally they both do the same job though!

shovetheholly Fri 29-Apr-16 14:27:10

I have a Rhino one, and I WUVS IT.

It is seriously, seriously sturdy. The glass is so thick (worth getting the stronger stuff), I struggled to carry it into place. There is no way a small child, a football, or anything else is getting through that stuff. It's held in not by the usual clips but by a really clever strip system that absolutely wedges it in place. Once you get it build, it ain't going nowhere.

They come with really, really good instructions - but it still took 2 days to put up.

You need to factor in a base: it needs to be SUPER level.

shovetheholly Fri 29-Apr-16 14:29:35

This is my one - it's a bit cheaper
www.greenhousesdirect.co.uk/Greenhouses/Rhino/Harvest%206ft/6x8/

Also, buying staging from the manufacturer is really expensive. You can get cheap staging in the discounters for a fraction of the price, and it's more versatile (you can pack it away when you need to and get it out again).

silversixpence Fri 29-Apr-16 14:31:01

Shovetheholly did you put it up yourself? I haven't tried anything like that and DH is quite busy, but if we can do it ourselves it would save a bit.

The greenhouse is going in the back corner of the garden so is sheltered on two sides by fences.

silversixpence Fri 29-Apr-16 14:32:04

I really want the Bluegrass colour, so looked at the premium range, but maybe I should be more sensible!

shovetheholly Fri 29-Apr-16 14:38:33

Yep, we did it ourselves over a lovely sunny weekend. The instructions make it a good deal easier than other greenhouses - every stage is really clearly laid out in a really long brochure with loads of diagrams, plus there is a DVD to go with it. Mine came with absolutely everything clearly labelled, but my friend had a piece missing and they couriered it to her post haste so it arrived the next day.

Mine is at the bottom of my garden, in a dip and sheltered by a fence and a hedge. I was still bloody glad I bought a tough one in last October's gales - we had gusts of 80-90mph and it was solid as a rock, whereas others were just shattered (the moment a greenhouse rocks is lethal, because the frame bends out of shape and all of a sudden every pane is loose....)

shovetheholly Fri 29-Apr-16 14:42:20

I can totally see why you love the bluegrass, btw. I went through the same agony! The only thing I would say is that it is actually quite close to the silver. While it will make a difference, I decided it might not be that huge a one. For my purposes, though, it's quite a functional thing... other people use them more decoratively.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now