reusing compost

(12 Posts)
NotAnEMERGENCY Tue 26-Apr-16 17:35:01

I know shop-bought compost is only supposed to provide plants with nutrients for up to 6 weeks but if I use it for seeds and the seeds haven't germinated, does that mean I can use the same compost for planting other seeds/plants? Or will the fact that I've been watering the compost for a while mean the nutrients filter out?

shovetheholly Tue 26-Apr-16 18:56:58

I think the water will have washed the nutrients out.

You can reuse it as spent compost on the garden - while it doesn't have much nutritional value, it will be good for the soil.

NotAnEMERGENCY Tue 26-Apr-16 19:27:57

Thanks, Shove!

WriteforFun1 Tue 03-May-16 19:10:24

funny, I was going to ask the same question

I have some balcony plant fails and thought that i could reuse the compost but I guess not. Because I don't have an actual garden I will have to throw the compost away which is sort of a pity. is it totally pointless trying to reuse it, perhaps use a little bit with new compost when I get some new plant plugs?

shovetheholly Wed 04-May-16 14:25:59

Hmmmmm... you could do a kind of micro-composting, on a really small scale. A wormery would be ideal. Then you could mix the spent compost with the worm compost.

JapanNextYear Wed 04-May-16 15:18:50

I'll quite often reuse compost in tups, and mix a bit of fresh compost in and some feed or chicken pellets. It's so expensive replacing it all. I don't if there's signs of disease or pests (vine weevils - yuk).

Then I tip it out as soil conditioner on the allotment.

slavojzizekstshirt Wed 04-May-16 16:34:32

Really really? Maybe I am just being profligate with mine then!!

Kr1stina Wed 04-May-16 17:36:47

Did someone mention composting ? grin

Boxoffrogs123 Wed 04-May-16 19:35:40

I often throw my used seed compost in the mix for my large tubs , or throw it into my beds.

Lighteningirll Wed 04-May-16 20:34:55

I reuse it in tubs and in the veg patch but not for seedlings. I feed all my tubs with my magic home made fertiliser so use anything in them including my compost all compost and new compost.

shovetheholly Thu 05-May-16 09:26:58

kristina - I have been so restrained on this thread and have not even mentioned BOKASHI once.

Kr1stina Thu 05-May-16 10:50:16

I know holly, you were doing so well .......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now