Talk

Advanced search

What do you do after you've weeded?!?

(8 Posts)
Passthebiscuittin Mon 25-Apr-16 09:28:19

Have spent the weekend digging up industrial quantities of evil weeds from my neglected veg patch and just wondered what everyone else did with the weeds once they were out? Mistakenly put them on my compost heap last year and just turned it into a super weed bed! Don't really want to bin them as it seems unnecessary use of liners.
What do you do? Burn them??

DoreenLethal Mon 25-Apr-16 09:32:15

You can drown them and once they are a sludge, add that to the compost bin.

You can leave them to dry to a crisp, which may take a while in the uk, and then add them to the compost bin.

I tend to add them to my compost bin as I turn them all regularly and they get removed after 3-4 turns if they haven't died back. Or you can put them in a wormery, or a bokashi bin, or a garden waste collection service, or mow them and again, let them dry out on the surface of the soil by putting it on the soil as a mulch.

Failing that - bin them or burn them.

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Mon 25-Apr-16 21:10:18

I put them in our garden refuse bags and the council collect them.

Lighteningirll Mon 25-Apr-16 22:06:49

I have a green bin from the council

SugarPlumTree Tue 26-Apr-16 07:02:22

Mine also goes into our garden waste bin as I'm too lazy to drown them.

bookbook Tue 26-Apr-16 08:52:02

I split mine - 2 buckets, one is for nasties, which then go in our council brown bin , the other goes in my compost bin. That gets all my kitchen peelings and the like as well, so not really had many problems with them composting down ( apart from potato plants growing ! )

mellysam Tue 26-Apr-16 09:04:01

We put them in green bags and council collect every other week.
Our local household recycling centre also has a 'garden waste' section I believe, so you might find you could take it somewhere like that

malin100 Tue 26-Apr-16 20:53:56

I put nice compostable stuff (grass clippings, food waste, cardboard) in my compost bin and crap (weeds) in my garden waste wheelie bin. If it can't go there, I burn it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now