Talk

Advanced search

Summer-flowering bulbs: "prefers sun"?

(3 Posts)
CurlyhairedAssassin Sat 23-Apr-16 15:42:46

I have some summer flowering bulbs from aldi. Dahlias, gladioli, lilies. Will they not come up if I plant them in a border which is in shade most of the day?

Unremarkable Wed 27-Apr-16 08:31:42

Gladioli will appreciate a bit of sun and some free draining soil so a shady border may not be the best. Dahlias will manage but do remember they are tender and will need lifting in the winter if you want them for next year. I can never be bothered with digging in the border so grow them in pots. Lilies should be fine as well. Just keep your eyes open, as they come into leaf, for red lily beetle and the larvae that look like brown lumps of slime. Kill on sight!

shovetheholly Wed 27-Apr-16 08:34:30

I grow dahlias in partial shade, but they aren't as vigorous of as good as in sun. Glads and lillies will like more sunshine. Be careful with lillies if you have cats - even a tiny bit of pollen can kill them, and you know how cats are about headbutting everything in sight. They may be worth doing in some kind of pot that you can raise up out of paw's reach.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now