Talk

Advanced search

Beginner advice please!

(10 Posts)
ameliameerkat Fri 22-Apr-16 17:20:39

I've just moved into a flat that has some paved outside space smile First time I've ever had outdoor space! Which I'm super excited about. I'm starting to think about growing things in pots. Can anyone recommend a good website (other than here of course!) for finding out basic gardening stuff e.g. what type of compost to use for different types of plants etc? Thanks!

Chippychop Sun 24-Apr-16 12:08:43

Lucky you , it's the beginning on a fab journey..
There are a few things to think of...
Try and be practical and don't get carried away with what looks pretty otherwise you could End up with a triffid taking up the whole space!
Do you need plants f screening or just to furnish your patio?
Do you want year round colour? Eg evergreens?
Personally I'd buy a few evergreens and spruce it up with annual colour
When you buy your plants ask the garden centre what type Of compost you need but also try and stick to plants that like the same type soiled acid/alkaline. Or. You'll end up with bags of compost to store
What kind of look do you want modern, or country? Ornamental grasses, yucca's cordylines all look nice
Do you want to grow herbs?
What aspect is your garden is it sunny or shady?
There seems a lot to think of but you'll soon get a clue as to what grows and what doesn't.
You could always buy ready potted plants?
The best book I've ever bought is perfect plant, perfect place but I love crocus.co.uk as a website it has a feature which says what each plant goes well with,, happy gardening hope this helps smile

ameliameerkat Mon 25-Apr-16 22:01:05

Thanks Chippychop! My terrace is very sunny, but also very windy as I'm very near the coast! There is (not very aesthetically pleasing by quite effective) metal mesh lined with green fabric fine mesh as a wind break/for privacy. So some screening might be good.....

So far outside I've got two lavender plants, an azalea, some flowery thing that my brother and SIL bought me and some herbs (all in pots). Inside (waiting for the nights to be less cold before they go outside) I have a hydrangea and a wee citrus tree. I've also sown some herbs in wee pots. I'm definitely going for the pretty things and things I can eat angle smile Also aware that I don't want to get too enthusiastic otherwise I'll run out of space!

I think this year for edibles I'll stick with herbs and some salady type things, and next year I might be more brave and go for potatoes or something.

shovetheholly Tue 26-Apr-16 07:32:57

Alan Titchmarsh's 'How to be a gardener' DVD is well worth buying and watching! Your plan to start with a few things you really enjoy is a great one.

Azaleas, rhodos, camelias are acid-loving plants, so in some places they need a special compost, called 'ericaceous compost'. Something to bear in mind when it gets bigger and you need to pot it on.

DippyHippy2016 Tue 26-Apr-16 07:39:06

Check out some Alys Fowler clips on YouTube flowers

ameliameerkat Wed 27-Apr-16 20:13:23

Thanks everyone! I just realised that my outdoor herbs may not be loving the hail that we've had the last couple of days - oops.... Might need to bring them in!

I think both my azalea and hydrangea are in that ericaceous compost. How do I keep my blue hydrangeas blue? I feel a google coming on....

pennygoodlife Wed 27-Apr-16 21:30:30

I think hydrangeas change with air climate IE that is why they are blue at the coast

shovetheholly Thu 28-Apr-16 08:32:08

It's soil pH that makes them go different shades - alkaline soil makes them go pink, acid soil blue. Along with looking at the prevailing weeds, it's one of the easiest ways to tell your garden soil pH if your neighbour has one and you can't be arsed to buy a kit!

pennygoodlife Thu 28-Apr-16 11:44:21

Yes yes of course it is shove. What am I wittering on aboutsmile

shovetheholly Thu 28-Apr-16 11:49:17

smile It's funny, though, I wouldn't be surprised if there's some secondary role for other conditions or genetics penny - I'm in an area where they are pink in one garden and blue in the next! Could be micro variations in pH, or maybe differences in the sensitivity of different varieties??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now