Veg patch landscaping, how much to budget?

(12 Posts)
silversixpence Fri 22-Apr-16 12:50:10

I'd like to do something like this at the bottom of our garden, we have around 10x4m in total which is just grass at the moment. Any idea what to budget for getting someone to put in raised beds and lay membrane with pea shingle over the top? Ideally would also like a pretty greenhouse and a picket fence with a gate but don't mind waiting for those.

shovetheholly Fri 22-Apr-16 14:01:35

Gosh, I really don't know how much it would cost. I can't imagine it would be more than a day or two's work in labour terms, and the materials (sheeting, cheap pressure-treated timber, gravel) are all quite inexpensive.

Since your site is flat, you could actually do the work yourself quite easily! However, I appreciate this isn't everyone's cup of tea, and that not everyone is able to take on a project like it!

cooper44 Fri 22-Apr-16 14:11:41

it's so easy to do yourself - I wouldn't pay someone - unless of course you just don't have time/inclination.
you can get raised bed kits (more expensive than just buying timber but all done and ready to put together)
membrane is pretty cheap - shop around as there's a lot of difference.
I'd put hardcore down on top and hire a whacker from jewsons to really firm it in (about £40 for a day) then top with gravel - you will have firmer flatter paths.
Cost really depends on how many raised beds you want as that's probably where your money will go - I want to do a similar thing in a part of my garden and estimated about £2k to do it but it's probably twice the area.
Although now I've said all that you also have to get rid of the grass which is a faff - you can get a turf cutter for a day to take it all off though. None of this is tricky but it's probably quite time consuming if you do it yourself. I would imagine if you got someone in they would spend about four days doing it.

silversixpence Fri 22-Apr-16 14:35:03

I don't mind doing things myself but don't really have the time with work and kids.. That said we need to save money somewhere so making the beds would be fine to do. We actually have a massive pile of hardcore sitting in the garden from when the previous owners had work done so could use that but I wouldn't really know how to get it level. I will look up the turf cutter and whacking tool though.

I was thinking more like a few hundred as its a small space.

While I have your attention is there enough space to put in a climbing frame and/or a sunken trampoline? I thought in front of the veg patch area but don't want to make the garden feel too small. It's about 80 foot long.

shovetheholly Fri 22-Apr-16 16:47:30

Your garden looks pretty level - I'd be surprised if you (or a workperson) need to do much more than removing the turf and a minor bit of evening out of the surface to get the beds down. I would do this with topsoil, not hardcore - you want your raised beds on decent earth, especially if you don't intend to raise them that much!

If you're intending to do a really perfect job, you might want the hardcore underneath the membrane on the paths. It needs to be whacked down really well, maybe with some crusher run added -you either need a tamper and a lot of muscle, or to hire a machine to compact it. Then membrane, then gravel on top, will give you a really lovely path. I did this in my garden but didn't bother so very much at the allotment, where I just use membrane and chipped wood.

I definitely think it looks like you have the space for a judiciously chosen climbing frame at the side!

cooper44 Fri 22-Apr-16 16:58:27

I wasn't suggesting hardcore for raised beds - for the paths - sorry if that wasn't clear. membrane goes under the hardcore layer - so it's ground/membrane/hardcore layer/gravel layer.
it doesn't need to cost a lot - I was just looking at how big the space is - but if it's only a few raised beds then it won't cost anywhere near that much.

shovetheholly Fri 22-Apr-16 17:13:36

I was replying to the OP, cooper, not questioning your judgement which I am sure is absolutely right!!

DoreenLethal Fri 22-Apr-16 17:18:21

What does it look like now OP? Get us a photo and we may be able to save you several hundred £

DoreenLethal Fri 22-Apr-16 17:22:38

Sorry OP - just seen your other photo.

You don't have to deturf; you can simply put down cardboard with soil/straw on top. Then make holes in the cardboard [called a mulch] and plant your plants through. Many people start with potatoes in their first year.

You can still keep your grass as a path.

If you want sides to the beds, just get a handyperson to make them up - or buy some veggie beds - 1m x 2m ones are around £30. Then over time the soil level will rise as you use the beds and compost them.

Scrutler Sat 23-Apr-16 15:57:48

If you want to do raised beds more cheaply, see if you can pick up pallet collars locally. They're usually around £3-5 each (if not free) and can stack them and give them a coat of paint.

Scrutler Sat 23-Apr-16 15:57:48

If you want to do raised beds more cheaply, see if you can pick up pallet collars locally. They're usually around £3-5 each (if not free) and can stack them and give them a coat of paint.

Scrutler Sat 23-Apr-16 15:59:15

Meant to add a link: www.pallet-collars.co.uk/. These obviously new but second hands ones are only several £.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now