Talk

Advanced search

please can you help me identify these plants?

(7 Posts)
DarkBlueEyes Fri 22-Apr-16 10:37:24

Hi all. Moved house in November and trying to get to grips with a neglected garden. Whilst earthing up my potatoes this morning I noticed this coming through. First pic. I pulled it out but wondered if it might be something edible? Jerusalem artichokes maybe?

Also second pic. This is popping up e everywhere and I'm pulling out seedlings but there's a few stumps like the one pictured. Any ideas? Elder maybe?

Thank you all.

shovetheholly Fri 22-Apr-16 14:07:15

The second one is a sycamore seedling. They drop seeds it the autumn that germinate like billyo this time of year! Get rid!

Not sure about the first - it's definitely got a tuber on the end there and it does look a bit like a young jerusalem artichoke.

DarkBlueEyes Fri 22-Apr-16 16:23:43

Ahhhhh! thank you Shovetheholly! We do have a sycamore in the garden and now I know! I'm pulling them out left right and centre!

Think I might let the other things grow a bit until someone else comes along and tells me it's the most heinous pernicious weed EVAH!

shovetheholly Fri 22-Apr-16 16:49:14

Someone will probably correct me, but I can't think of a weed that has such a tuberous root. I therefore think that's a great decision to watch and wait!

Gatekeeper Fri 22-Apr-16 17:06:01

1st one def fartichoke. Got millions of the buggers here. Lovely roasted but by God you suffer afterwards

DarkBlueEyes Fri 22-Apr-16 20:07:47

Hee hee! I might have to transplant them as they're in with my potatoes but let the mystery unravel!!!

Ferguson Fri 22-Apr-16 20:20:09

But the leaves look very HAIRY? Might it not be some kind of poppy?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now