Talk

Advanced search

Any good gardening magazine gift ideas?

(7 Posts)
RevealTheHiddenBeach Thu 21-Apr-16 21:52:15

My DH is a very enthusiastic and very novice gardener. We are moving in a year and he's been planning the garden (we already own the house) for about 6 months. It's his birthday soon. Are there any good magazines the lovely mn gardeners could recommend that he might find both interesting and kind of educational?!

Thanks in advance!

Parietal Thu 21-Apr-16 22:15:38

the best is membership of the Royal Horticultural Society, which gets you a very nice magazine and entry to all their gardens and various events.

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Thu 21-Apr-16 22:45:07

I got my Dad a Gardener's World subscription a few years ago - he really enjoyed it.

He's a very experienced gardener but I think it would work for novices too.

What about gardening books? I bet we could recommend some good ones.

RevealTheHiddenBeach Fri 22-Apr-16 12:33:38

That would be good too! Anything really. He has LOTS of tools but I think the knowledge would be useful! Thank you all!

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Fri 22-Apr-16 14:29:04

OK so here's some ideas:

RHS Gardening Through the Year is a really good book to start with. Very comprehensive and gives a month by month guide to what jobs to do, ideas for star plants for that month etc

There's a range of books called The X Expert eg The Flower Expert, the Tree and Shrub Expert, the Rose Expert, the Container Expert etc. I find them really useful too.

RHS plant encyclopaedia is great for browsing. Although you can use their online plant search now, which is better for looking up specifics, I still enjoy browsing through the book (try and get a recent edition as plants will be easier to get hold of).

John Brookes Garden Design - he has a few different books - are excellent too.

The only gardening book I've got that I don't like is Monty Don Fork to Fork - and I love Monty - but it's really badly laid out and impossible to use.

RevealTheHiddenBeach Fri 22-Apr-16 19:31:10

Thank you! Will def get rhs one. Any John brookes in particular?

Bolshybookworm Sat 23-Apr-16 08:19:33

Seconding RHS membership. You get a monthly magazine (which is pretty decent), entry for yourself and a guest to any of the RHS gardens, reduced ticket price for Chelsea, tatton park etc and free entry for yourself to lots and lots of partner gardens. It's a really good deal (£40-55).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now