Talk

Advanced search

Ash what can it be used for?

(6 Posts)
applecatchers36 Wed 20-Apr-16 15:53:58

We have a surplus of Ash from winter fires, can it be used as a fertiliser for the garden and what plants is it good to use on?

Ifailed Thu 21-Apr-16 07:46:41

Wood ash is good for roses, and you can add it to the compost heap if you mix it up. However, it is alkaline, so avoid things like raspberries, and don't overdo it.

shovetheholly Thu 21-Apr-16 08:29:49

Is it from a log burner or an open fire? The log burner stuff is so depleted of nutrients (because the fires are so efficient) that it doesn't have the same beneficial effects on the garden as stuff from an open fire. I still whack mine on the compost heap, in the hope that it provides a little bit of an alkaline boost for the worms! Open fire ash is higher in potassium, and great around fruit like raspberries.

If you had loads and loads, add a little at a time - you don't want to affect the pH too much!

shovetheholly Thu 21-Apr-16 08:30:08

Oh and, for obvious reasons, don't use it around acid-loving plants like rhodos!

applecatchers36 Thu 21-Apr-16 09:02:36

Thanks so much for the advice, it is from open wood fire so hopefully still some nutrients? We have some rose bushes but no fruit bushes so will start with them and avoid the rhodo!

shovetheholly Thu 21-Apr-16 09:43:26

Open wood fire = perfect garden stuff!! You could put it in a bag and flog it!! grin Or just keep it and rake it into your own soil.

And I am TOTALLY wrong about raspberries - they DISLIKE ash!! Apologies to ifailed who is right about this!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now