What are the white eggs in my compost heap?

(8 Posts)
PurpleRibbons Sun 17-Apr-16 21:37:45

Found about hundreds of little white eggs on the top of the compost heap today. What are they? I suspect slugs or snails in which case what shall I do when the buggers hatch? We have a big slug problem as it is and they come in the house <shudder>.
The compost heap seems to have got very wet, it is like a mass of decaying wet veg with a lot of worms, any chance we're going to get any decent compost out of it??

NicknameUsed Sun 17-Apr-16 21:39:46

Slugs.

Get rid.

WilentSitness Sun 17-Apr-16 21:41:33

'yes slugs. Plastic bag and bin.

Are you putting enough brown things - leaves, cardboard, paper etc. on your compost?

PurpleRibbons Sun 17-Apr-16 21:44:53

Normally we would but we've been a bit slack over the last few months and I think the rain has got in too. I hate slugs sad

DoreenLethal Sun 17-Apr-16 21:47:42

Slugs eggs.

But do not put leaves in the compost. Shredded paper, cardboard yes. Leaves no.

PurpleRibbons Sun 17-Apr-16 21:54:03

I've just found out that DH has mixed it all up with a garden fork so he will have mixed the eggs into it. The thought if it is making my skin crawl. Is there anything I can do??

DoreenLethal Sun 17-Apr-16 21:55:27

Not really, unless you want to pick them all out. Hopefully he may have crushed a fair few whilst doing it.

PurpleRibbons Sun 17-Apr-16 22:22:42

I might make him do it more vigorously to make sure!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now