Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

can anyone identify these plants

(11 Posts)
GrowAndRun Sun 17-Apr-16 13:43:01

See photo. They appeared in the back of our garden, looking a but like tulip bulbs sprouting. Now bluish flowers are appearing.

LotsofDots Sun 17-Apr-16 13:49:32

They look like bluebells/harebells.

charleybarley Sun 17-Apr-16 14:02:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bookbook Sun 17-Apr-16 15:07:15

Bluebells - I think I can see a flower head against the fence. They are a menace in my garden, but they die away quite quickly after flowering

IlPorcupinoNilSodomyEst Sun 17-Apr-16 15:11:30

They will spread and spread, but do look very pretty if you have a corner where it doesn't matter. Here are mine this year ...

Finola1step Sun 17-Apr-16 15:12:53

Bluebells. Mine are just coming up too.

MewlingQuim Sun 17-Apr-16 15:15:34

Bluebells, probably the spanish ones rather than our nice native ones which are smaller with thinner leaves. They spread wildly.

Please don't dig them up and chuck them in the nearest woodland to 'set them free' like many people do when they get pissed off with them spreading round the garden. They hybridise with our native species.

GrowAndRun Sun 17-Apr-16 18:10:54

Sounds like you all agree on bluebells then! Thought they might be, but the flowers seem a but close tight together - I'm guessing they open out more.would like to leave them and see what happens, but we ate about to dig up that bit to make a bed. Expect they will be back next year though!

bookbook Sun 17-Apr-16 20:19:50

Do not throw the dug up ones in the compost bin!!! And no , you will never be rid of them <voice of bitter experience>

Ferguson Mon 18-Apr-16 16:43:04

Dig deeply with a strong fork, and make sure you go deep enough to get UNDER the bulbs and get all traces of bulbs (and maybe 'baby' bulbs) out.

shovetheholly Tue 19-Apr-16 07:57:34

I would leave them in your new bed, but I WUVS them and not everyone else feels the same! (One of my favourite things to do is to walk in a bluebell woodland in full flower - I even have a picture of one on the wall by my desk).

Someone told me that one of the ways they propagate is by rabbits and other critters disturbing the soil and spreading bulblets around. So that's why digging them up can appear to make them spread!! No idea whether this is true, but it seems plausible!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now