Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone pls suggest a garden tree with a tall trunk...

(8 Posts)
NigellasGuest Sun 17-Apr-16 13:14:12

say 4 or 5 foot, so just a plain thinnish trunk, which then fans or spreads out with foliage above? Does not need to be evergreen!

I would like to create a little screening high up, but not have much bulk down low, if that makes sense. I am thinking maybe a birch, but feel confused as to which one.

I know there's another thread about screening but didn't want to hijack that one.

IlPorcupinoNilSodomyEst Sun 17-Apr-16 15:37:02

Rowan is lovely (and will keep witches away), crab apple, cherry blossom ... Will think of more.

DoreenLethal Sun 17-Apr-16 15:44:49

As long as you buy a tree that hasn't had the leader chopped, you can pretty much do this with most trees. You just leave the leader to grow as tall as you want and then prune back the leader letting the side branches grow out and removing anything below the height that you want your tree to be.

NigellasGuest Mon 18-Apr-16 14:05:11

thanks for suggestions - and I didn't realise you can just prune it like that to make any tree grow to that shape.
Are there any naturally lollipop shaped trees though, or trees like fans on tall sticks?

MewlingQuim Mon 18-Apr-16 14:14:18

Most trees will make a standard if you just get a young one and cut off the lower branches as it grows. Lots are also sold already shaped as a standard.

I'm not sure a birch is a good choice though. They are often multi stemmed and I don't think they like being pruned much.

Do you want a dense crown or something more transparent? Rowans are nice and let light through, if you want more privacy maybe a fruit tree like a cherry?

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Tue 19-Apr-16 22:54:40

Pyrus calleryana chanticleer might do the job for you?

It's a very pretty tree too - lovely blossom in the Spring and autumn colour too. Have a google for some pictures.

Or there is a corkscrew hazel in my new garden - that might also work for you?

NigellasGuest Wed 20-Apr-16 20:40:11

thanks for continued suggestions - off to google Rowan and also pyrus calleryana chanticleer!
I already have a corkscrew hazel but it's more like a smallish shrub - can they grow really high then?
Any thoughts about crabapple?

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Wed 20-Apr-16 23:07:49

I didn't plant mine but it's definitely a tree with a single trunk, although looks very well established. Perhaps I have misidentified it?! blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now