Talk

Advanced search

Neighbour has replaced her fence (our border) with low wire fence!

(72 Posts)
Missingcaffeine Wed 13-Apr-16 20:32:00

So we get on very well with our next door neighbours but they have just taken down their solid 5 ft fence and replaced it with a low 2 ft wire fence. It's our border, but they are responsible for that fence. We have lost all our privacy and I'm now sat in my lounge and can be seen by the neighbours. I don't want to fall out with them, but it has really upset me. I know we can put a fence up our side, but I think that will cause conflict and it would also cost us a lot as it is a long garden. I'd be happy with a trellis/plants - just something to give us some privacy.
They have done it because they have a long narrow garden and want to use our garden to make theirs feel wider - so they are not boxed in. Our garden is much wider, so this would not be an issue for us.
Has this happened to anyone else?
Does anyone have any suggestions of good plants that would give us some privacy, but not cost crazy amounts and are relatively easy to maintain? I'm pregnant and had a toddler - so haven't got much time to maintain the garden but also need to be a bit frugal with money right now! I want to be able to breastfeed and walk around in my pyjamas in my house without feeling self-conscious that my neighbours can see me!

TheSpottedZebra Wed 13-Apr-16 20:37:13

Oh no!
Do you know how high you'd want it to be?

flanjabelle Wed 13-Apr-16 20:38:17

How awful for you! That is beyond inconsiderate behaviour from them. Did they not seek your opinion on it at all? My move would be huge great big conifers, but I don't know how you come across huge ones or how much they cost.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Wed 13-Apr-16 20:39:43

Well I would consider myself above my neighbour in such a situation and Id put a six foot solid fence up on my side of the boundary.

ExitPursuedByABear Wed 13-Apr-16 20:40:08

Oh yes. Leylandii are the way forward.

SuburbanRhonda Wed 13-Apr-16 20:42:56

Fencing is expensive but if you want something in place for the warmer weather it's the only solution. Anything you plant would take years to provide enough coverage.

djini Wed 13-Apr-16 20:42:58

That's so inconsiderate. I'd be hopping mad. Could you put up some trellis along the first bit of the boundary at least? And plant the rest? That way it looks a little less like a fence but you can play the toddler card - s/he would be able to hop over a low wire fence and you need to keep your garden enclosed and safe...

As for what to plant, photinia is good/easy/relatively quick growing and also nice to look at. Doesn't look too hedgey either.

flannelwash Wed 13-Apr-16 20:43:53

One of my old neighbours had bamboo at the end of their garden ( I had huge gates, all the gardens backed onto garages iyswim) it spread like wild fire and got really tall too.

QuiteLikely5 Wed 13-Apr-16 20:44:59

They took their fence down so your garden would make theirs appear larger???!!!!

One of the strangest things I have read on here confused

KirstyJC Wed 13-Apr-16 20:46:06

Have they thrown out their old fencing? Could you ask them if you can have it for a project....and then put it up again on your side?

I would be fuming and would definitely say something to them! Ask them why they want to be able to see you naked in your sitting room!

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Wed 13-Apr-16 20:46:32

How inconsiderate of them. And odd!

I would suggest just putting your own fence up. Yes I know it's an expense you could do without but I'd value my privacy over neighbourly relations.

HaveYouSeenHerLately Wed 13-Apr-16 20:50:30

It is bonkers but perhaps the fence was shading too much of their garden.

Still very cheeky not to consult with you - did they think you wouldn't notice shock grin

notquitegrownup2 Wed 13-Apr-16 20:53:29

You need a fence or trellis at least if you want privacy this summer. Forsythia makes for quite cheap and quick hedging but it is deciduous, so only really gives you privacy in summer. It is pretty though - you could plant an evergreen honeysuckle in amongst it, to give you all year cover, if you want to have some hedging and some fencing. Yy to photenia too - they are very pretty, though a bit more expensive.

TheEmmaDilemma Wed 13-Apr-16 20:56:11

Ugh I have this. We only have a low wire fence on one side. We are friendly with neighbour but they would hate it if we put up a full fence as it would shade their garden.

If I could afford it, I'd still put the fence up. We all chat over the fences in summer, but that low fence gives us no privacy at all....

WipsGlitter Wed 13-Apr-16 20:59:34

I'd put up a fence. It's fine that they want their garden to look bigger but not at the expense of your garden.

LitteRedSparke Wed 13-Apr-16 21:01:33

you could put a full fence up closer to the house, and then plants further down?

CaptainAnkles Wed 13-Apr-16 21:05:38

Put up a fence on your side as quickly as possible. Doesn't matter if it's not pretty, just that its high enough. Then you can plant some nice things along it so it looks nice later. Your right to have some privacy trumps their odd wish to make their garden feel bigger.

Lalalili Wed 13-Apr-16 21:09:16

Your toddler is your ally I would encourage a love of football and ring the doorbell every five minutes to retrieve the ball

yomellamoHelly Wed 13-Apr-16 21:10:38

You need a fence. Do as much as you can afford starting at the back of the house.

Lalalili Wed 13-Apr-16 21:12:27

Seriously though, I'd be worried about young children escaping or climbing over such a low fence. Can you tell your neighbours that you need the garden to be securely enclosed?

TheSpottedZebra Wed 13-Apr-16 21:13:38

You could also claim to be struck by the grow your own bug, and erect wire mesh or trellising to grow beans and climbing squash/courgettes all down that side. For your toddler. To help with their eating. How could they object?!

Then save up a bit and wham some fences in the autumn. And plant small fruit trees as well, as you 'realise that type went a bit over the top with he beans and squash' but still want to grow your own.

HeadfirstForHalos Wed 13-Apr-16 21:22:54

I wouldn't be happy at all at having an unsecured garden with a toddler and would be putting up solid 6ft fence ASAP, a cheapy rough one if necessary. They havent given you any consideration or worried about upsetting or inconveniencing you. Just explain its to secure your garden for the children.

CocktailQueen Wed 13-Apr-16 21:24:56

Sod it, put up a six foot fence. I'd hate to be stared at or feel vulnerable in my own house. Gah.

WhoKnowsWhereTheT1meGoes Wed 13-Apr-16 21:31:58

We have this, but it has always been that way not changed. In fact when we moved in there was also a low wooden fence our side that our previous owners had put up, but it was a PITA because weeds and other plants would grow in between the two. As each panel rotted we removed it and just have the wire fence apart from two 5ft panels we have put up next to our patio for a little privacy there and in the kitchen - perhaps you could do that?

I actually really like the setup, we are always chatting over the fence, I like looking at their garden and it feels sociable. Although I have no issue with being seen in my PJs, I wander round the garden in them regularly.

funnyperson Wed 13-Apr-16 22:32:23

We live in a terrace and wooden fencing is stipulated in the house deeds. Perhaps you could check your deeds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now