Advanced search

temporary marking paint - is there such a thing?

(11 Posts)
cakeycakeface Tue 12-Apr-16 08:24:21

I had this idea you could buy spray stuff to temporarily mark out beds before digging them up. I was told there was no such thing at my garden centre, and directed to normal spray paint. I was told that I'd dig the lines into the bed anyway so it didn't matter if it was permanent. At this time when both DCs were being a nightmare this seemed to make sense. But when I got home I realised this meant I would not be able to play around drawing and experimenting shapes. I have googled, and come across games paint. But if this is anything like markings for a football pitch it is also too permanent to me.

So is there such a thing. Or what should I do instead?

MyNightWithMaud Tue 12-Apr-16 08:28:47

I always thought there was, when I've seen them using it on garden makeover programmes, but aubergine that was just standard aerosol paint.

When I started this garden, the book I read suggested using rope to mark out and alter the shape of the beds. Could you do that?

MyNightWithMaud Tue 12-Apr-16 08:30:16

Why would autocorrect change maybe to aubergine? Ack.

cakeycakeface Tue 12-Apr-16 08:32:05

I used to use my hose pipe, but these beds will require a mini digger, so I need something that won't be knocked about.

cakeycakeface Tue 12-Apr-16 08:33:57

Hmmmm, maybe I need to use rope first, and spray later, as a work around.

MyNightWithMaud Tue 12-Apr-16 08:34:29

This has whetted my curiosity, so I've been googling. There is, apparently, something called construction marking paint, which lasts 3 months. I don't know what it would do to the soil.

cakeycakeface Tue 12-Apr-16 08:36:16

I'll have a look at that. Three months would still require me to be fairly decisive though. I was imagining something that would disappear with a couple of rain showers.

PurpleWithRed Tue 12-Apr-16 08:37:02

I think you have to use hosepipe, string etc to do the experimentation then permanent marker paint when you've decided. Alternatively I've seen dry sand in bottles used to pour out and mark the beds and you could sweep that away and start again but it might not sweep away that clearly.

cakeycakeface Tue 12-Apr-16 08:39:15

It's so odd, I'm sure I've seen Monty Don casually spraying lines on grass. (Maybe he's so experienced he gets it right every time!) DH is now googling too. He thought you could buy spray chalk....

shovetheholly Tue 12-Apr-16 09:07:54

I use a bright yellow hose! And then lines (canes with brightly-coloured twine between them) when it comes to digging. I do know some landscapes like to use sand.

It IS worth all the effort of marking things out. You can see things from upper storey windows, looking down, that you can't see on the ground. DH and I had several sessions during garden landscaping when he sat in the bedroom ringing me on my mobile in the garden saying 'to the left, to the right, to the left....' grin

ABetaDad1 Tue 12-Apr-16 09:18:44

I used temporary marking paint when doing my garden landscaping.

It comes in a big aerosol can that you can hold upside down and spray continuously.

Mine is a brand called Prosolve Acrylic Lnemarker

You can Google for suppliers but I got mine from the local trade tool place.

One tip is peg out the area with string and sticks so you have straight lines then run the can alongside the string so you get a straight line. If you want curves or circles put a stick in the ground with a piece of string the radius of the curve you want. Hold the can and string in your hand and walk around the stick holding the string tight. Makes much better lines than free hand.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now