Can I replant daffodil bulbs?

(8 Posts)
DillieDoily Sun 10-Apr-16 17:51:20

I know absolutely zilch about gardening so hopefully someone can help!

I was given a pot of mini daffodils (the type supermarkets sell for Easter etc) which were kept indoors- the flowers have now died but I was wondering if I can just plant the bulbs in the garden rather than throwing them out? Or would that not work at all?

madamginger Sun 10-Apr-16 17:56:55

Yes you can, I've done it for years
I tend to put them in planters and then over plant them with bedding plants

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Sun 10-Apr-16 18:00:05

Yes, just bung them in somewhere suitable.

DillieDoily Sun 10-Apr-16 23:12:27

Great thanks. And do I just plant them as they are or would I cut the stems and leaves off first? The leaves are still green but the flowers have died. Sorry I am so clueless!

Cookingongas Sun 10-Apr-16 23:14:39

Cut em and plant em ime. Daffodils don't want to die- so much so I can't kill em!

Qwebec Sun 10-Apr-16 23:16:01

Don't cut the leaves. They will give the bulb the energ it needs to grow new flowers next year.

DillieDoily Mon 11-Apr-16 16:22:39

Thank you everyone. I will give it a go and hopefully have some daffodils in the garden next spring

Ifailed Wed 13-Apr-16 08:28:34

I would leave them in their pot, feed and water them, then once the leaves die back plant them out. Remember to plant them at least at a depth of approximately 3 times their own height.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now