Talk

Advanced search

Advice for my new garden corner please!

(5 Posts)
KittyCatKittyCat Tue 05-Apr-16 11:46:02

Hello.
Just had one side/corner of the garden fenced and can now work (slowly) on making it look lovely. I usually just do spring/summer gardening and clear it all away for winter, but would love to work with some all year long, green, structured plants.

The corner is at the bottom of a gentle slope of lawn, south facing (loads of sun). One side has 6ft fence and can take lots of lovely tall things, the most south facing part is a picket fence that can take some medium height things. The soil is certainly thick, gloopy chalky stuff, I can work in more appropriate stuff if needed but I'd have to buy it and I'm not super rich right now.

I'd really love fragrance, structure, bits to last all year, and some spaces for the annual planting of pretty things that never last. I already have plenty of lavender about the rest of the garden.

Any ideas on what would suit?
Thanks in advance.

StDogolphin Thu 07-Apr-16 18:51:22

How about some hollyhocks with Japanese anemones in front? I am keen on Phlox atm and also found a lovely deep blue salvia last year.

bookbook Thu 07-Apr-16 22:52:34

There are so many lovely winter shrubs, with scent , its quite hard to pick some, but amongst my favourite are
Daphne
Hamamelis
Viburnum Tinus.
Viburnum x bodnantense ‘Dawn’
you will need to do a bit of research for the variety which suits the position best for you

TheFogsGettingThicker Sat 09-Apr-16 13:42:38

There's also some lovely winter flowering clematis.

Pittosporum tenufolium (evergreen, has nice small crinkly leaves. I like the variegated variety) for a good anchor plant.

And heucheras, so many colours to choose from. They really cut a dash in the winter months, and have tiny waving flowers in the summer that insects love.

KittyCatKittyCat Sat 09-Apr-16 20:46:55

Eeek thank you!
I'll be keeping this thread and getting these names on a list to go see at the garden centre near me, I'll be buying in bits and bobs (can't afford it all in one go) but thank you for the suggestions!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now