Pink flowering shrub with a scent of TCP?

(15 Posts)
almondfinger Mon 04-Apr-16 20:14:34

I took a cutting of a shrub yesterday and didn't get to plant it on till this morning.

The whole house smells of TCP. We don't own a bottle of same.

DH says it's the plant. It had a really soapy sap, is covered in deep pink tiny flowers along the branch.

Any ideas?

almondfinger Mon 04-Apr-16 20:17:56

I think it's possibly Daphne from google images. Anyone got a TCP scented Daphne?

RatherBeRiding Mon 04-Apr-16 20:20:40

Can you post a pic - could it be Viburnum?

almondfinger Mon 04-Apr-16 20:59:58

No, I've cut it down and taken most apart to try to root it. Not viburnum, have one in the garden. This has little flowers all along the branch.

Kbear Mon 04-Apr-16 21:12:34

skimmia?

TheNoodlesIncident Mon 04-Apr-16 23:15:45

It's Gaultheria I bet. The smell is so distinctive.

TheFogsGettingThicker Tue 05-Apr-16 09:51:38

Second Gaultheria - used to sell it in my florists and we were always amazed by the TCP smell!

Kr1stina Tue 05-Apr-16 11:08:14

Gaultheria smells of wintergreen . But I thought it was the leaves when crushed and not the flowers .

Kr1stina Tue 05-Apr-16 11:09:51

We need a photo. Are you in the UK? It's just I don't know many people taking cuttings this early .

almondfinger Tue 05-Apr-16 21:47:51

It's not Gaultheria.

I'll take a pic tomorrow and post. It left the house yesterday and there is still a small of tcp.

We had guests over the weekend who are coming back Thurs on way to airport. I'll ask if they had any tcp spills. But I would have noticed, its strongest in the kitchen.

Tomorrow I will have to steam and wipe down every surface. Now I don't mind tcp but the rest of the family are not so keen.

Not skimmia either.

I take cuttings almost anytime. Some take some don't. I'm in Ireland.

Kr1stina Wed 06-Apr-16 05:04:22

Ah, you will probably be a month ahead of me, as I'm in Scotland . I don't have much new growth yet, decidous shrubs are barely in bud .

Pink shrub covered in flowers with strong smell does sound like a viburnum or a daphne , like this one

www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/5331/Daphne-mezereum/Details

But the smell of both of them is usually described as sweet .

Kr1stina Wed 06-Apr-16 05:17:02

Could it be a sarococcus ( I think there's a pink tinged one ) , chimonanthus or lonicera ? I think it's too late for most of them , ditto hamamelis .

almondfinger Wed 06-Apr-16 21:06:04

this is it, now I've chopped it down. I think it may be a Daphne.

Defo not sarococcus, love that scent, have one by the front door. Flowers gone over now.

MeDearNoDear Wed 06-Apr-16 21:15:43

Looks like a type of Ribes - flowering currant. Though the one I've got smells of cat pee...

almondfinger Wed 06-Apr-16 21:39:13

MedearNoDear, that's it.

Thank you, I'll go and read more. DH tells me I need to plant it in the furthest part of the garden.

House guests returning briefly tomorrow so will also quiz on a possible stealth use of TCP

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now