Talk

Advanced search

Replacement small tree after storm damage

(11 Posts)
fiorentina Tue 29-Mar-16 15:51:05

We had a lovely small white flowering viburnum that was a couple of metres tall in the middle of a bed in the middle of our NE facing garden that snapped off in the weekends storms. Annoying as it was one of the few mature plants in the garden, most are still tiny from planting last year. I want to find something to replace it asap as it was a nice focal point of the green and white garden area previously. Thinking of one of the following but welcome any suggestions; magnolia stellata, gardenia Or another viburnum. It's next to a choisya ternate and I have a green and white theme, liked the evergreen nature of the viburnum but wouldn't mind something scented. I guess fastish growing would be ideal!

Thanks in advance.

catbasilio Wed 30-Mar-16 08:22:21

I quite like my amelanchier lamarckii. Not sure if it is evergreen but it did keep part of leaves over winter.
If you liked your viburnum though maybe it is best to get it again?

GreenMarkerPen Wed 30-Mar-16 08:25:44

you can get quite mature plants at good gardencentres/nurseries.
have a look.
how about a cyanothus? evergreen with stunning flowers.

gobbin Wed 30-Mar-16 09:45:59

Agree with Amelanchier, lovely sized tree for almost any garden.

fiorentina Wed 30-Mar-16 11:23:26

Thank you. I will take a look and try and find one that's a reasonable size.

shovetheholly Thu 31-Mar-16 15:01:40

How shaded is your north-east aspect? Amelanchier tend to like sun to partial shade, but that's more on the 'partial' side than the 'shady' side IYSWIM! (Unlike the Viburnum tinus, which sounds like what you had before - I have one of these in deepest, darkest shade and it still thrives).

You could think about one of the more dramatic acers that would give you bark in the winter, e.g. sango-kaku which has bright pink twigs or - if you're looking for something a bit more restrained to fit your green-and-white theme, a variegated one like Acer palmatum 'Kagiri-nishiki' or the rather gorgeous Acer dummondii which has a lovely habit. Or a mountain ash (sorbus) of some kind will tolerate really heavy shade.

If your garden is enormous, then my personal choice would be a Cornus 'wedding cake'. But these are vast - they're really parkland trees, so unsuitable for most suburban settings (which makes me sad).

fiorentina Thu 31-Mar-16 21:13:20

Thank you. Definitely more partial shade, it's in the middle of the garden so does get a fair bit of sun. Sadly garden isn't that huge, so the last option is a no go!

I will look at Acers and Mountain Ash, thank you, I hadn't thought of those.

catbasilio Fri 01-Apr-16 14:14:54

I think acers are slow growers? Which may be not suitable in OP's case?

LisaMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 01-Apr-16 14:22:51

I'm no expert gardener but do love gardens so thought I'd add my suggestion. We bought a 6ft high Bloodgood Acer (so named as it has amazing red leaves) for about £350 from a garden centre. They don't like wind, and it's in a partly shaded spot. I makes an amazing focal point when we look out of our kitchen window. Well worth the money as it looked perfect from day one.

shovetheholly Fri 01-Apr-16 15:05:06

Wow, MNHQ in our little gardening section!! I feel like we have been given a gold trowel or something! grin.

The bloodgood acer is a gorgeous tree!!

fiorentina Fri 01-Apr-16 22:10:25

Very honoured! Thanks for your ideas!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now