Talk

Advanced search

Screening shrubs that grow fast (do you recognize this one?)

(7 Posts)
catbasilio Fri 18-Mar-16 16:17:31

Hello, I am looking to have a line of thick / evergreen shrubs in front of my living room window to block the view of cars parked on the road.
I currently have a line of small ligustrum and pyracantha which I don't feel suits at all (I planted it but it feels wrong).

I feel this shrub may be suitable (the tall one) as I have seen it growing fast at neighbours, but does anyone recognized what it is?

Unremarkable Wed 23-Mar-16 09:26:46

It might be a Euonymus - but I have to admit can't really tell from the pic. Just didn't want your post to go unanswered really.

GrassyBottom Wed 23-Mar-16 14:01:29

Bay or Laurel?

redcaryellowcar Wed 23-Mar-16 14:28:29

I'm not sure what this is but Portuguese laurel might be something to look at? Good for hedging and a bit nicer to look at than regular laurel?

Maryz Wed 23-Mar-16 14:38:14

It does look like a bay or laurel, but they are very slow growing.

Escallonia might be a good bet. It grows fast and tall, but is easily trimmed. You can get bareroot plants at this time of year but it grows better from pots.

Another option is griselinia which is fastgrowing and grows well from bareroot stock.

The trouble is that anything really quick-growing will get out of hand quickly too.

catbasilio Thu 24-Mar-16 12:59:07

Thank you! After a closer look to the plant in my photo, I came to a conclusion that it is Euonymus with yellow margins, but for some reasons only few branches are with the margins and the rest is simply green. And I want simply rich green plant.

I went to a local nursery and found that I loved loved the look of griselinia!! and just going to measure up and go back to buy it.

8 ligustrum ovaliorum and 4 orange pyracanthas will have to go. Anyone want it for free? (postcode CR0...)

Maryz Thu 24-Mar-16 13:02:18

Leave the pyracantha between the griselinia if they are in a hedge you want to use to keep people out.

There's nothing better than the odd branch of pyracantha to make teenagers stay away [evil grin]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now