Talk

Advanced search

Nicotinoids?

(5 Posts)
7Days Tue 15-Mar-16 16:06:53

I have probably spelt that wrong, I am talking about the bee toxin stuff.
Someone put up a post on my fb today warning about garden centre plants being treated with this and not to buy them.
Is this a problem we should be aware of in Ireland and the UK?

NanTheWiser Tue 15-Mar-16 17:16:37

It's neonicotinoids - "neonics", the ban was suspended last year - www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/jul/23/uk-suspends-ban-pesticides-linked-serious-harm-bees. I'm not sure how anyone would know whether a garden centre was using such an insecticide, but as it is still legal to do so, there is nothing to stop them. Insecticides containing neonics are still available for the amateur gardener to purchase, if they wish.

shovetheholly Tue 15-Mar-16 18:45:02

I hadn't really thought about this before. I will definitely be writing to my garden centre to ask them. They are a completely evil chemical, and not one I'd ever use.

7Days Tue 15-Mar-16 20:45:42

That's an idea. I wasn't following the story all that carefully so I thought they had been banned for commercial sale, round up and the like. I'm sure they are being used if it's legal sad there doesn't seem to be a requirement to label plants either. How long does it take to wear off, I wonder? Feel a bit upset now I spent a lot if time and money sorting out my garden last year, in as eco a way as I knew how. Loved watching the bees visiting. I had loads and felt I was doing a tiny bit of good for my part of the world.
Silly question but would seeds be treated too?

shovetheholly Wed 16-Mar-16 10:07:47

Well, your garden sounds like a proper wildlife haven! I don't know how long neonics persist in plants, but I do know Greenpeace found toxic residues in ornamental plants on sale. I assume that these would, however, break down with time (though I might be mistaken about this). I would LOVE to hear the views of someone who knows more. (Greenpeace report: sos-bees.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/A-Toxic-Eden.pdf)

I suppose the issue is one that is more akin to a consumer ban: I don't use these chemicals myself, but nor do I really want to buy from a supplier who does. And that's about garden plants but also food. Perhaps the most effective thing to do is to target suppliers with a pressure campaign, asking them whether they use these chemicals at any stage of the production process?

Your question about seeds is a good one, and I don't know the answer. I have read that some commercial seed for food crops is pre-treated with neonicotinoids, but I don't know if that is the case for domestic stuff. It's another question worth asking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now