Talk

Advanced search

New Lawn Novice

(7 Posts)
ANiceSliceOfCake Mon 14-Mar-16 08:34:05

I have a few questions if anyone would mind helping.

We had turf laid in October last year, we watered it in, but that's it, I have no idea how to look after it.

There are some bare patches now, near the wall and fence so maybe where there is less light?

- Do I need to feed it?
- Do I need to re seed it?
- How do you weed it? There are a few plants growing up through it
- When should I cut it?

Anything else I've missed?

Unremarkable Mon 14-Mar-16 11:48:19

Give it a cut now, if it's grown quite long. But don't take too much off, keep the blades of the lawnmower high so it doesn't cut the grass too short.
Give it a week or so and see how it looks.

Then give it a weed & feed (combined treatment) and it should turn lush and dark green.

If you've still got a couple of bare patches it might be worth using a patch repair kit (like Patch Magic or similar) so you can see where you've over seeded. Make sure it's warm enough for the grass to germinate - 6degrees C is a good rule of thumb. Though grass isn't keen on shade. You can get lawn mixes that say they're good for shade, but I don't know if they work particularly well.

Good luck. The weed and feed and a good cut will do wonders.

ANiceSliceOfCake Mon 14-Mar-16 16:05:18

Thank you, that's great advice. Maybe I can rescue the patches then.

I'd best go buy a lawn mower!

cooper44 Mon 14-Mar-16 18:05:57

hello - you shouldn't week and feed on a new lawn - just get a nitrogen rich feed (they will all say on the back of the box). I only know this because I laid turf at exactly the same time and did a ton of research last week. And then I'd rake the bare patches and put seed down. It's still pretty chilly though so it might be best with patches to wait a bit until it's warmer - I'm not sure what temp it needs for germination.

cooper44 Mon 14-Mar-16 18:06:23

*that was WEED and feed - not week and feed.

cooper44 Fri 18-Mar-16 11:42:43

ANiceSliceOfCake did you do anything to your lawn? I used a feed on my (turf laid same time as yours) and it has scorched so beware anything chemical. I'm only using liquid seaweed on it from now. It cost a fortune turfing it and now it looks dreadful.

ANiceSliceOfCake Sun 20-Mar-16 22:08:02

Hi, no I havnt got round to it yet, thank you for the warning though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now