which tree is this?

(9 Posts)
HollyBollyBooBoo Sun 13-Mar-16 14:06:46

Please can anyone help me identify this tree (hopefully I've added a pic)? They are a sort of berry on it and it's absolutely beautiful! Thanks!

EBearhug Sun 13-Mar-16 14:16:56

Some sort of cherry? It's difficult to see.

cosmicglittergirl Sun 13-Mar-16 14:30:51

Mountain ash tree? Hard to say without a close up of the berries.

DoreenLethal Sun 13-Mar-16 14:32:59

Was this taken recently and are you in the UK?

ThumbWitchesAbroad Sun 13-Mar-16 14:39:16

Looks like some sort of ornamental cherry, tbh.

But it's not a good enough photo to tell - can you take a much closer up one, that shows the shapes of the leaves and the berries?

HollyBollyBooBoo Sun 13-Mar-16 17:15:52

Yes in the uk today, don't go out that way usually and spotted it in someone's garden! I'll google your suggestions and see if they match! Thanks!

EBearhug Sun 13-Mar-16 17:28:39

Cherry bark can vary from grey to a beautiful, shiny reddish brown, depending on the variety. It will have horizontal breaks in the bark, though you might not have been close enough to see that.

Leaves will vary from green to a purpley-browny red, again depending on variety. The cherry in my garden is just dark brown buds at the moment, but it gets a lot of shade, and is about a week behind other trees in the area.

Blossom varies from white to dark pink, depending on variety. Cherry trees are usually good value for blossom, which is why ornamental varieties have been developed.

Loads of images if you google them.

HollyBollyBooBoo Sun 13-Mar-16 19:24:38

Well done Cosmic! Pink household mountain ash, so pretty.

cosmicglittergirl Mon 14-Mar-16 07:34:49

That's so funny, I'm in no way a tree expert, but was reading an article in the Guardian about the best trees for a small garden and the mountain ash caught my eye! Think I'll get one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now