Talk

Advanced search

what would you do with this corner (inc pic!)

(9 Posts)
littlem133 Sat 12-Mar-16 08:00:41

At the moment we have an old summer house in the corner of our garden under a cedar tree. The corner is south east facing. The summer house needs to come down as its nearly falling down! I was going to replace it with a new summer house with pots either side to soften it up as I think something is needed in that corner to add interest but grass and most plants won't grow well there. We won't ever get chance to sit in the summer house though-it Royle just be to look nice so my husbands saying its a waste of money. What would you do with that corner?!

PurpleWithRed Sat 12-Mar-16 08:08:41

Um, not being funny, but you don't seem to have anything much in that area of the garden other than the football goal and summerhouse. Why do you feel the need to pretty it up? I'd just continue the hedging round the corner and leave it to be a play area.

If you do get rid of the summerhouse can I suggest free cycle - very likely be an absolute treasure to an allotmenteer who will come and remove it for nothing.

littlem133 Sat 12-Mar-16 09:05:52

The goal isn't staying there- it moves around the lawn. I want to pretty it up precisely because there's nothing there!

PennyDropt Sat 12-Mar-16 09:14:29

Are we looking NW then?

If we are looking SE then the area is in the shade of the tree so prob tricky to get much to grow.

If the tree is to the NW then you could cut off a corner, sink bricks or similar into the ground so that there is an edge to mow along the top of and just plant some flowering shrubs - buddleia, weigela, azalea, lilac, mahonia and they would grow and give colour through the year. Each of them will grow to 8 ft or so after a few years.

PennyDropt Sat 12-Mar-16 09:15:19

Though don't plant too near the fir tree.

littlem133 Sat 12-Mar-16 12:24:10

Thanks. I like the sound of those plants. The back of the house faces west so I suppose I meant to say the summer house faces south east!! Does that make sense?!

PennyDropt Sat 12-Mar-16 14:26:14

Good, so it will get lots of sun.

You could plant round a summerhouse if you still feel you need one. But the shrubs would add some colour.

littlem133 Sat 12-Mar-16 14:42:03

Exciting thanks. What about a viburnum popcorn?!

PennyDropt Sat 12-Mar-16 16:13:06

Unless you are in the mountains or far north I would think that would be fine. You can look to see what neighbours are growing but unfortunately they won't flower for a while yet!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now