Talk

Advanced search

Magnolia plant for indoors?

(11 Posts)
NaraDeer Wed 09-Mar-16 11:46:30

DM has asked for a Magnolia pot plant for indoors.
I know absolutely nothing about plants/trees etc. But I've looked on-line and all I can see are Magnolia trees which grow, well, rather big like trees tend to.

Is there a type of magnolia that will stay pot plant sized or do they all grow enough that they'd need to be planted outdoors?

Sorry this is probably a stupid question but I just don't have a clue blush

shovetheholly Wed 09-Mar-16 12:09:43

Hmmmm, they're normally grown outdoors - I've never heard of bringing one in.

There are lots of lovely exotic conservatory plants that will be very happy indoors - perhaps one of these might work better?

NaraDeer Wed 09-Mar-16 12:57:12

Thanks holly. Glad it wasn't just me being a bit dim.
Are there any similar looking indoors plants you can think of, please?

Greengager Wed 09-Mar-16 12:58:59

Never heard in this. Ours is 10m tall!

Did she get mixed up and mean Azalea or something?

shovetheholly Wed 09-Mar-16 13:01:27

Hmmm, there are people on here who know way more about indoor plants than I do. What about a bougainvillea? It has similarly sized flowers, in bright shades of pink or white and I think it's pretty non-toxic. A brugmansia gives big trumpet-like flowers, but it's very poisonous so not great if you have kiddiewinkies about.

NaraDeer Wed 09-Mar-16 14:37:31

Green yeah I think at 10m you're definitely passed pot plant territory! grin
She's adamant she means magnolia but bless her she could be confusing it with anything!

Thanks holly I'll take a look at that.

I think a trip to the garden centre to show her might be the best idea.

maryso Wed 09-Mar-16 15:27:19

Might she have meant gardenia?

shovetheholly Wed 09-Mar-16 15:32:20

maryso - Ooooh, that's an idea. I wonder if she did mean gardenia?

Can you show her a picture on the internet of a gardenia and see if that's what she's after, nara?

NaraDeer Wed 09-Mar-16 16:55:13

Well I've had to Google as I couldn't tell you the name of anything above and beyond a daisy and I think you might be onto something there mary.

Good idea holly, I'll show her some photos and see if we can figure out what she's after.

shovetheholly Wed 09-Mar-16 17:10:04

grin Well, even when I know the name half the time I forget it or get it wrong! I once went through a conversation talking about the 'schizophrenic' plant. I meant schizostylis.

Ferguson Wed 09-Mar-16 19:19:35

This article (which I guess is American) suggests they can be pot grown, but I don't think it mentions indoors.

www.bhg.com/gardening/trees-shrubs-vines/trees/are-there-any-dwarf-magnolias-i-can-grow-in-a-pot/

I always prefer the magnolia stellata, as the flowers are more delicate.

And fuchsia might be a more reasonable consideration:

www.fuchsiaflower.co.uk/index.htm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now