Talk

Advanced search

something to plant inbetween paving slabs path

(5 Posts)
sacbina Sun 06-Mar-16 17:40:00

Reusing some old slabs to make a stepping stone path and want something other than grass or shingle to put inbetween.

Its on the north side of a garden, very shady, grass struggles as it is.

In my head I had an idea of using something low growing, hardy enough to survive walking on. Is there anything? ?

bigboypants Sun 06-Mar-16 19:56:00

My first thought was something I saw in the Garden Crafts for Children book by Dawn Isaac, we've done several of the projects from here with the kids, she does a scented hopscotch where she plants thyme and gravel amongst the slabs, I'm wanting to do it as a path but haven't gotten around to it yet. I know you said no shingle but it looks quite nice with the thyme.

I can't work out how to do a link but do Google it to have a look.

SunnySomer Sun 06-Mar-16 20:01:01

It also smells amazing with thyme! In our last garden we had some thyme between paving slabs deliberately as well as some self-seeded oregano - the oregano was like a weed and really hard to remove, but the thyme was lovely

shovetheholly Mon 07-Mar-16 11:28:37

Unfortunately thyme doesn't tend to like really deep north-facing shade! You can sometimes get away with it in partial shade, but it doesn't like real wet and dark. It's a great choice for a south-facing garden, though.

Have a look at mazus reptans. I've just discovered it and it's gorgeous.

Lysimachia 'aurea' will grow like a thug in shade, but it tends to throw its arms over stones, so you will have to keep cutting it back.

Some sedums are shade-loving, but be careful because others adore sun and will die or sulk in the dark.

sacbina Mon 07-Mar-16 13:35:47

Some great suggestions, thank you.
Love the idea of thyme but definitely too shady. The mazus reptans looks ideal. ☺

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now