Talk

Advanced search

Replacing greenhouse glass with polycarbonate

(7 Posts)
TeaPleaseLouise Fri 19-Feb-16 20:58:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ferguson Sat 20-Feb-16 20:12:29

I think you can now get toughened safety glass, that could be better than polycarbonate.

I may not be correct on this, and stand to be told by others with more experience, but I THINK polycarbonate is two layers of plastic material that can get damp and mould between the layers, which can't be cleaned, and reduces the light transmission.

shovetheholly Sun 21-Feb-16 15:49:34

Yep, the light would be the thing I would worry about - polycarbonate is definitely darker in feel to glass. But that doesn't mean it's useless - just that it's not quite as good.

You can get really strong toughened safety glass for greenhouses now - mine is about 5mm thick and virtually impossible to break. But it does cost more. So it may be a matter of cost/benefit ratios, bearing in mind how good the greenhouse frame is.

FWIW, many of us grew up in gardens with old-fashioned greenhouses with very breakable panes. I remember putting balls through my Dad's on a regular basis grin. I never got injured, though, because I knew enough about the likely reaction to scarper in the opposite direction when this happened. grin

TeaPleaseLouise Sun 21-Feb-16 18:27:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SuperwormTheThird Sat 27-Feb-16 21:20:26

My polycarbonate greenhouse blew away this winter (had it for less than a year). I got it for the same reason as you - small children, but I've decided to splash out on toughened glass now. It might be better in a good quality frame though.

didireallysaythat Sun 28-Feb-16 08:11:18

I've been thinking the same OP - but only because I lost 9 panes of glass on the green house at the allotment this week and it's going to take an hour or two to tidy it up...

GrassyBottom Sun 28-Feb-16 09:53:59

When my DC were little I stuck plastic safety film on the outside of the lower panes. It wouldn't stop the glass from breaking but it wouldn't shatter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now